1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I just realized we have a "Films" category but no movie thread !

I'll start.

I just watched She's out of my League and, although I was expecting it to be good, I was still pleasantly surprised by how well made and believable it was (apart from a few scenes). I could explain the story but it wouldn't mean much. The title already says a lot about what will happen in the movie (and so did the trailer), but what made it good was the characters themselves (and the actors portraying them).

Before I started the film I was moody, no, I was pissed off actually. I got work to do for an exam and it got me mad, long story. Anyway just a few minutes into the movie I already had a smile on my face and it stayed until after it was over. It's a very good movie for average joes looking for hope ;)

Recommended (7.5/10)

For the record, I'm a pretty harsh critic so 7.5 is very good on my scale

Bindi Edit: - lets sort out a post format - how about..

Title:
    Rating: (out of 10)
    (Brief) Reasons:

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Jun 2010
    Hex likes this.
  2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The Machinist - good movie, lots of plot twist and not too long

7.5/10 which is fair to good in my book, would definitely watch again

3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

'Boy' - a kiwi film.
    probably 8/10 - story was pretty pointless but acting was good

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

A-Team

Was a very good movie.

Also watch The Stranger a few days ago. That was pretty good too.

I'm not a good movie critic so I don't give a rating.

EDIT: sorry Bindi! mine sucks. lol

Last edited: 13 Jun 2010
  5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Added a format to the first post.

Title: Micmacs
    Rating: 7/10
    Reasons: Enjoyable, quirky, a bit stupid and unlikely but fun to watch. Same director as Delicatessen but tries to hard to make it like his previous movies: not everything fits the same format perfectly.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Just watched another movie

Title : Youth in Revolt
    Rating : 7/10

It was another enjoyable movie about a guy who's not good enough for girls (or so he thinks). Okay I admit I totally look like an emo for watching two movies in a row on this subject but I didn't expect Y&R to be about this tbh ;)

It doesn't stay that way for too long for Michael Cera's character however and soon enough his character changes completely (good for us, bad for his entourage, hah!). Cera's playing the same character he plays in every movie but he was also cast for those role for a reason; he fits them perfectly.

He is not alone on screen however and I must say I was impressed by Portia Doubleday whom I had never heard of before. She is beautiful as Sheeni and she did a great job, especially during her first few scenes where she's quite mysterious and you just can't know what she's really up to

This was not the funniest movie ever, nor was it Cera's funniest. It was, however, good entertainment with no pacing issue. The whole movie flies by and I consider that a good sign of quality :)

7. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

District 9.
    9/10.

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Title: The Losers
    Rating: 8/10
    Reasons: Enjoyable, quirky, a bit stupid and fun to watch. I had no idea what it was going to be like. I'd seen posters and trailers but wasn't immediately impressed. One on-the-house staff ticket from my good buddy October though, and I was sitting watching one of the most fun films I've seen lately :D Notable points - awesome weapons (that KA SR-25 with the suppressor and bipod that Cougar was using had me drooling), Zoe Saldana hotness, Chris Evans hilarity and overall but not 100% tactical strategy and weapons accuracy. It was certainly nothing like the "horribly inaccurate in every way once a gun is on screen" piece of hollywood drivel that the trailer or posters made it out to be, which was a pleasent surprise :)

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Title: Four Lions
    Rating: 10/10
    Reasons: Another fantastic piece of work from Chris Morris, full of surreal moments, risky jokes and ridiculous social stereotyping. Genuinely one of the most hilarious film I have ever seen, made even better by the audience who were at least 90% of the asian community.

10. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Title: Zombieland
    Rating: 8/10
    Reasons: Good, funny and short zombie comedy that pokes fun at itself and the whole genre. Its only like an hour and 20 mins long which makes it almost quite disposable. Bill Murray makes a brief cameo and its got some stylish touches throughout.

Title: The Men who Stare at Goats
    Reasons: Watched this on a recommendation from a house mate. Its a little bizarre but the cast is good (Clooney, Spacey, McGregor, Bridges) and they pull off some good performances. You're never quite sure exactly how much truth is in the story (at the start the film claims "more of this is true than you would think") which is kind of a good thing as it'd be unbelievable if the film claimed to be absolute truth and inconsequential if it was simply a fantasy. The fun bit is guessing which of the events depicted actually took place.

11. Unicorn

Emma Stone ;) That's all I'm sayin'

Material likes this.
  12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Shutter Island

8/10

Didn't have much expectations/idea what kinda film I was starting, and this sure turned out to be a pleasant surprise. One line review: didn't see that coming.

(Also my vote history on imdb if someone cares)

knuck likes this.
  13. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

When Emma Stone did her impression of Janine (Annie Potts), I'm pretty sure she cemented herself into the hearts of all male twenty/thirty-somethings across the world.

Material likes this.
  14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Definitely.

Material likes this.
  15. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

yes...she may have something to do with it too...

...shotgun...eye shadow...thing for geeks...*sigh*

16. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

Title: A single man
    Reasons: Wonderful debut from Tom Ford, Colin Firth fits the role like a glove. Every scene looks like a perfume advert. The movie may aswell be called "Bereavement by Calvin Klein"

Suggested thread format:

Title:
    Rating:
    Reasons:
    (optional?) If you liked this try:

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

10 for Futurama ? 10 for Mythbusters ?

You sir, have just earned yourself some rep !

xMathiasD likes this.
  18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Thanks Ghys.

Green Zone
    7/10
    Lotsa hype, ended up being rather generic. Still 7 points for making it in the first place I guess. Still kept me watching, so I guess it wasn't too bad

Still prefer somewhat similar Hurt Locker over this one.

19. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Title: Jennifer's Body
    7/10
    Most people won't like it, but don't take the movie seriously and you'll probably enjoy it. It makes fun of itself, and there are plenty of great lines throughout. "Nice hardware, ace". I probably wouldn't have appreciated it if I was at all older..

Title: Moon
    9/10
    Best Sci-fi movie of 2009 IMO, nobody saw it. If anyone has seen Sunshine, it's fairly similar though with less suspense. Really neat setup, Sam Rockwell is a great actor (though he wasn't as good in Choke or Iron Man 2..)

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    2/10
    I went to a fancy art movie theater to see this supposedly awesome movie.. The story was ridiculously predictable, the characters were vaguely memorable, but all generic. The leading man was too ugly, like distractingly ugly. Many unnecessary scenes (revenge rape, broken bottle fight, corpse faces), waaaaay too long. The best part of the movie was hearing people speak Swedish for two and a half hours.

Next movies I'm going to see are Wristcutters: A Love Story, Solaris (the new one), Toy Story 3, and Eclipse (I was dragged to the previous two as well).

20. Unicorn

It's interesting to hear your opinion on that. I'd have said Green Zone 8/10 and Hurt Locker 9/10 purely for having a more realistic and dramatic (in a hard hitting way) story. Maybe not even the story, but how it was portrayed. Also, you've got the "holy crap, he's in it, and so is he!" factor with the Hurt Locker, whereas Green Zone was just "Oh, it's him, and her, and him..". Green Zone was a very enjoyable movie for me, but based purely on realism, accuracy and how the action was put on screen, The Hurt Locker gets a slightly higher score from me. The direction was absolutely amazing.