1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Why I don't use WASD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

default setup for me in almost all cases

3. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

I use the cursor keys, num 0,1,4,5,2, ctrl, shift, return, page down up delete etc. I however have no excuse to not use WASD, and how I came around to using the cursor keys? Who knows!

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

depending on the game i some times like to bind [F] to Grenade

but other than than default generally

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I used to used the Cursor Keys until quite recently. I think the last game I played that way was the original FEAR when it was released - WASD just didn't seem sensible to me. I only changed when I was bullied into it by friends.

The reason I stayed with cursor controls was simply that, when I first got into 3D shooters, namely Quake, the default controls were Cursors, plus PG-Up and PG-Dn for looking up and down. I just wasn't comfortable using mouselook for starters.

Later, when I had started to use the mouse, I still stayed with the Cursors for movement, then Ctrl for duck, Num-0 for Use, Shift for Jump and End for reload. That was mainly because I'm very clumsy and I have very big hands - I don't need to stretch to reach those keys and the gap means I didn't fumble.

Nowadays though, I'm just a vanilla WASDer.

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I use a PS3 controller.

7. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

Back in the early days, this being Doom/Quake, before mouse look, I used to use the numpad 8462 to move, space to jump, A to fire and SD to strafe left and right.

Worked wonders, also gave you complete use of both hands for the keyboard.

Curse you mouse look!!

8. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

About 5 years ago, I used to play Unreal Tournament with the cursor keys. But I changed to WASD when one day I lost really badly in a Counter Strike Tournament and felt quite embarassed about it.
    I might just try your control scheme, Paul, to see how it feels.

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I always set the A to the C and the shift to the R just find it more comfortable that way.

10. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

One of my old school friends played like this on Quake and was epically good at deathmatch, again roughly the same reason (we used to play Doom and I believe that cursor keys was the default setup, but I am certain that by the time Quake rocked up WASD was also bound by default, I have certainly been WASD since Quake). Weird thing was he was right handed but played with a normal MS intellimouse southpaw, a bit like the Hendrix of Quake, very odd.

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I use the cursor keys, num 0, 1,4 num 0,1,4,5,2, ctrl, shift, return, page down up delete, home and end. The reason for this, I'm lefthanded, my mouse is on the left side of keyboard. AND in the yesteryears all the arcade joysticks where left handed and buttons right handed. So kinda taken over from that

12. RTT

RTT #parp

FIFY :thumb:

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I hate you I hate you I hate you.

14. bpdlr

bpdlr High-frequency bogon emitter

A guy once applied to join a guild I was in (I think it was for Aion?). He said he'd lost an arm in an accident but had taught himself to use just one hand to control games, and was adamant that he'd got to the stage where most people didn't notice his disability in-game. It's amazing how the human body can adapt.

15. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

I used to be an ESDF man (means your hand sits on the home keys and you have more buttons in reach). Right click to jump, space to crouch (makes duck jumping and crouching endlessly behind cover easier). I have these because I started playing FPS before WASD was the norm (and think it's a better setup).

However these days I have a Belkin n52te and a g9 so rather than remapping my keys for every games I have the controller and mouse button positions moved to convert the standard WASD to how I like it.

16. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I actually use ESDF myself even today. This harks backs to Tribes, which defaulted to ESDF.

Its not hard to transition to the right by one key, and it gives you a whole other set of useful keys around it.

I jump on my mouse side button, reload on scroll click, and W and R become lean, where the developers bother to implement it these days. A is usually to activate zoom, and space to crouch.

17. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

I use WASD but I tend to customise the key surrounding it away from defaults to my own settings depending on the game

18. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

anyone use a nostromo or similar?

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Movement - Cursor Keys
    Fire - LMB
    AltFire - MB4 (aka mouse back button)
    Jump - RMB
    Duck - RCtrl
    Run - RShift
    Use - Enter
    Reload - BackSpace
    Melee - Num 1
    FlashLight - Num 0
    Talk - End
    Grenades/Special Moves - Insert/Home/PgUp/PgDown/Delete

20. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Have you ever thought about switching the mouse and keyboard? Since you seem to have trouble only with some fingers on your left hand, using the mouse with that hand would free the other one to use whatever key layout you'd like.

Tags: Add Tags