1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Are flashguns universal?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Impatience, 23 May 2014.

1. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I've recently bought a 600D and a flashgun (Triopo Tr-950), but the flashgun wont work with the camera.. The camera recognises the flash and disables the automatic built-in unit and the flash turns on and lights up the screen etc, it just doesn't go off when i'm taking pictures!

Does this mean that my camera isn't compatible with the flash? Because I thought flashgun units would be 'plug-and-play',so to speak.. Or is there a problem with the flashlight? Does anyone have experience with flashes who could tell me where i'm going wrong?

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

No, maybe, and yes.

No. The design for the hot shoe is often brand specific.

Maybe. Cheap flash guns often have faulty circuitry and while they might fit, simply don't work. You'd be amazed how simple the design of a basic flash is. You'd be even more amazed at how poorly constructed they can be.

Yes. There are hacks, mods and work arounds. A basic flash has 2 pins which fire it when they receive a signal. Sometimes it's as simple as an optical trip or an off camera cord. Sometimes it involves drilling a hole and soldering in a pc sync port.

Edit: I just looked up your flash. It looks pretty tight. It has off camera optical syc as well as a pc sync port. It should work. On the other hand, it's a wonky off brand.

Have you tried using it any other mode? off camera TTL? Does it pop when you manually use the test button?

Last edited: 23 May 2014
  3. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I've tried changing the settings on the flash, but the 'pilot light' wont illuminate. I think it may be broken.. :(
    Would you be able to recommend a suitable flash? (Just a basic thing with an adjustable head and one support for a rebound card (not sure what it's officially called) that goes next to the flash bit to bounce the light off it.. Just in case I have to buy another. :wallbang:

4. Jumeira_Johnny

If the 'pilot' or test light isn't illuminating, it might just be that your batteries are flat. Are the batteries fresh and in the correct orientation? Are the capacitors charging?-are you hearing a whine when you turn it on? If you press the 'pilot' light is there a pop of light from the flash?

5. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

It's weird, because the screen turns on.. But nothing else seems to work! I'll switch the batteries over and see if there's that whine noise coming from it when I get back from work.. Previously, it wasn't making a pop of light.. But i'll see if it's just the batteries being iffy!

6. veato

veato I should be working

If you need an alternative then I have experience using Metz flashguns which are significantly cheaper than own brand models.

I've also seen the Yongnuo 560 EX II touted as a cheap but useable flash but haven't used one personally.

7. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Success! :clap: It turns out the flash doesn't like the rechargeable batteries that I had.. It was enough to power the screen but not the flash itself.. I found out because of the lack of whine (handy hint there!) coming from the unit during it powering on! Swapped for some cheap disposables and it's working now! :lol: Guess I'll have to stick to Duracell's

8. Jumeira_Johnny

I use rechargeable. But you have to use ones that have higher output. I stick to the 2300mAh and up.

9. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Yeah, gotta love the 7dayshop own brand 2400mAh ones here, for the price I don't think you can beat them.

10. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Just looked up 7dayshop.. Wow, their prices are good for batteries! 40x Duracell Ultra's for £15?! *buys*