1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MS Access - best tutorials?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ljs, 31 Aug 2014.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

I haven't used Access in probably about 10 years now but I want to make a fairly simple database for me to use at work to keep track of project and deadlines and be able to add them easily. I could use a spreadsheet but I thought this might be a bit more fun!

As with everything else, there is a mass of tutorials available but does anyone have any recommendations or a particular site/organisation to look out for?

Like I said, it will be fairly simple (hopefully).

Cheers!

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

To be honest I'd advise you to steer well clear of Access. You don't need it for this kind of work, and for the kind of work that you might want it for you'd be better off using SQL Server Express or similar. If you want to learn databases then have a look at w3school's section on SQL: http://www.w3schools.com/sql/. It doesn't go over database fundamentals, but it does cover basic SQL.

Honestly a spreadsheet would do fine for this sort of stuff; it would also be easier to plot Gantt charts in a spreadsheet.

If you have access to this at work, it might be worth giving Trello a shot. It's even being used for tracking development of Unreal Tournament 4 https://trello.com/b/Q07L4mSS/unreal-tournament-programming

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I know this doesn't answer your question, but would you not be best making use of MS Project?

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Project is the ideal solution :). I didn't suggest it because I'm well aware of how much it costs... Plus Project can be overkill for simple task tracking; it does a hell of a lot more than just show a list of task start & end dates.