1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Second Hand Tablets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookie, 17 Aug 2014.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

In the next month or so I would love a tablet of some description. The main uses would be web browsing/youtube /music /emails, and some typical tablet games like plague inc etc. But I would also use if for some work roles, as everyonce in a while I have to look at a server and I might not always be near my main desktop at home.

I really like the idea of a second hand Surface RT which I have seen for around the £130-£150 mark on gumtree. I have also seen 1st gen iPads go for around the £70-£90 mark. Thoughts and suggestions please :D

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

First-gen iPads are hampered by the various OS upgrades that have taken place since their release. In that sense, the Surface RT is a better bet - but just make sure it has an app for whatever you might need before you buy it.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

If you want really to use it for work, then i would look at 8" tablets like Dell Venue Pro or Lenovo Miix 2. Sure, unfortunately no HDMI, only 2GB RAM and only quadcore Bay Trail Atom, but on other side they are full x86 tablets with full Windows 8.1.

4. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Nexus 7

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

In the £70-90 range, you can pick up a Nook HD+ 9" tablet - they run a heavily customised, clunky version of Android, but they'll run the latest Cyanogenmod 11 release perfectly well - and it'll suit your needs for most things.

Of course, there's always the Tesco Hudl at £99, although it is a 7" tablet.

6. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Seconded.

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I should have specified that 10 inch minium is what I would want, due to my eyesight :sigh:

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

tbh, the difference between a 9" and a 10" is minimal. I've had quite a few visually impaired learners use the Nook HD+ and they are fine with the 9" screen.

9. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

I also second this recommendation if windows programs compatibility is important to you!.. Have a look around you might get a good deal on a second first revision Surface Pro, though the battery life on these won't be as good as the newer models!.. :p

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder