1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Just had a big brownout. Should I... do anything?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oscy, 7 Sep 2014.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

The lights didn't just dim, they went out for a split second. That's a brownout, right? Also my computer made a sorta noise for an even shorter split second, not sure how to describe it. Anyway, my computer is still going, I've exited the game I was playing and had coincidentally saved right before this happened.

Is there any precaution I should take, or something that might happen in the next few days, like it dying on startup or some slow horrible death? Not a UPS, I'm talking in direct relation to this brownout rather than future preventive measures. Like holding the computer's power button when it's off to get rid of the excess charge or something.

And if anyone says something along the lines of "brownout in your pants", you're getting a backhand.

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Did it leave skid marks.

Sorry can't resist a challenge lol

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ We all went there... admit it. :p

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

My instinct on this is that if something is running with less power than normal, then it shouldn't do anything too bad especially if its only momentary.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I too arrived too late to make exactly the same comment as Tel.

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

By UK standards I live in an area with frequent power cuts and they haven't damaged my computer.

So don't panic! :thumb:

7. oscy

oscy Modder

I live in the UK too, blackouts are rare here but I've had a few, but what about this type of brownout? I've had the lights dim for a split second, but not go so low that they turn off completely for a split second, and yet the computer keeps running like nothing went wrong (except for that noise, which I guess I'd describe as like a crumple).

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Where I live power cuts are frequent had as many as 5 in a day damned annoying having to go round the house rebooting 3 rigs every time.

we get those quick low power ones a lot, never once has it damaged the rigs.

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Modern PSUs should deal with most things without a hitch even continuing to supply power after power has cut out (momentarily anyway). I wouldn't worry.

10. oscy

oscy Modder

Just thought I'd confirm that my computer is still alive and I've had no problems.

Now watch as I get a BSOD.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That noise you heard was the little known 'power straw' feature that most PSU's now have. In the event of a temporary power drop or outage, the PSU will actually suck all the electricity from the ring main it's on. The noise is when it's almost run out of electricity and has to work really hard to suck through those last few drips, much like when you've got down to the dregs of your favourite carbonated sugar beverage.

12. oscy

oscy Modder

I'm not sure whether to believe this because I don't know any better or challenge you because that sounds crazy.

13. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Lightbulbs emit light as a symptom of electrical current running through them. Less current, less light. Computer more complicated.

Honestly unless you're willing to go through capacitor by capacitor, trace by trace, the only way you'll know if something is wrong is when it breaks.

14. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Brownouts are normally used when it becomes impossible to keep the voltage in between the desired thresholds. By reducing the voltage they can regain stability and hopefully prevent a full blackout. Some items will pull a lot more current to make up for the lack of voltage (power = current x voltage). Other items won't. You can find more info as ever on Wikipedia http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownout_(electricity) \o/

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Brownouts shouldn't damage your computer, because like Isitari said, a brownout is a drop in voltage, The worst that could happen is your computer losing power without shutting down.
    What will damage your computer is voltage spikes - brief moments when the voltage is too high, usually during storms. That could fry your computer unless it's protected.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2014
  16. oscy

oscy Modder

I had a big ol' thread about this a while ago, and the conclusion that thread came to was that having a surge protector is probably useless, maybe even more of a risk, and any of the cheapish ones you can get in a regular shop doesn't have enough protection. But it was all hotly debated and unclear.

Indeed, when I had a surge protector, my PSU got busted anyway. My protector buzzed for a sec then my computer suddenly turned off, and I had to get a new PSU to get it working again.

P.S. I'm guessing the first line should say 'brownouts shouldn't damage'.

17. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Most consumer surge protectors aren't worth the money you pay for them, and most "guarantees" will never pay out the money they promise.