1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus Z77 boards on show

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 6 Mar 2012.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

2. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Nice......Although I think I'll stick with my current ROG board and just change the CPU.

3. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Its nice to see a watercooling block build in, its a shame it doesn't cover the southbridge though.

Was any one else wondering what that little card at the I/O shield was doing? Next to the optical out.

4. Amsalpedalb

Amsalpedalb What's a Dremel?

Can't help but feel that little fan near the IO panel is gonna be a noisy little bugger.

And that ITX board looks sweet, I love how they've incorporated the CPU power circuitry.

5. dead beat

Bluetooth I expect.

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The Gigabyte boards have also been showcased. They look mighty sexy too.

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Weird little card appears to be another version of ROG connect, since thats what is says on the slot it goes into on the motherboard right next to it...
    Not really impressed by the big boards, but do like to see them add some adequate VRM's to the itx. That is an interesting solution, though a little inelegant to have it all slapped on a daughterboard. Will be interested to see how it pans out real world. Could be the first real overclocker in itx equal to it's atx counterparts.

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

ITX board is pure win!

9. dead beat

Yup, it's the RC bluetooth card.

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Do want that new Sabertooth. Even if I just got the P67.

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

That ITX board looks amazing, droolfest

12. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I want to whack in a high-power GPU and a 2600K with that ITX board, watercool the lot; have one of the smallest Overclocked gaming rigs going. The Radiators to keep the GPU and CPU in check would be larger than the motherboard!

13. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Card slot at the top near i/o is m/pci slot

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

very nice to see they ditching DVI/VGA for Displayport, both to save space and to push that standard forward. wonder if it'd support 2560x, current Sandy bridges only support resolutions of single-link DVI :(

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

RTFA! ;);)

It's an mSATA/mPCIe combo card. One side you can put an mSATA, the other mPCIe. Basically you don't want to use up PCB space or get in the way of graphics cards so it looks neater and is more compatible. The mPCIe part can accept wireless, bluetooth, GPS, 3G - it's a standard laptop connector.

DisplayPort supports resolutions above 1920x1080.

Southbridge doesn't really need it watercooling as it's not as hot as X79. The Fusion Thermo block is a combo of aircooling and watercooling. It's electroplated nickel on copper sat next to a heatpipe, buried within an anodized alu heatsink. It's designed not just to chill the VRMs for heavy overclocking, but also if you run a fanless system with only watercooling you NEED to cool the VRMs or they overheat and your CPU ends up either not Turboing or even throttling.

lysol - What's up with the ATX boards?

Bloody_Pete - what heatsink below PCIe slots??

Sabertooth Z77 comes with dust caps for all the PCIe slots and two memory slots as well, and it comes with two optional fans in the box: one for the VRM system and another for the southbridge. There's also special holes in the PCB that direct the airflow out behind the CPU socket too.

Max V Form also has Supreme FX 4 which builds on the PCB isolation and buffer cap from III, but changes the chipset and EMI shield, as well as further upgrades still in the process of tuning. The Form isn't due til May while the GENE will be out before Ivy launches even.

I'll be doing guides to the ROG and Sabertooth features from next week, and full previews will be arriving online from tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Mar 2012
  16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

On the bottom left of the M5F there's a black square heatsink type thingy...

17. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

What's up with the ATX? Well nothing really, asides they are ATX. I've been moving more and more away from them in favor of itx builds.

18. trig

trig god's little mistake

what??!! have i been asleep for a decade or did kayin just say he has an intel-based system??!!

asus ever send you over to the states for anything? you are tim?

19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

i7-2600K and P67 Sabertooth. Yes, it replaced a dual Xeon setup, so I've had Intel for a little while now. I'm most interested in a functional computer right now-sponsors offered, I took.

20. trig

trig god's little mistake

i could swear you were amd only for awhile...maybe i had it wrong...