1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Black Widow

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by abbas-it, 7 Jul 2012.

1. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

Hi Everyone, its time i showed you the Worklog of my Black Widow Scratch Build.
    After making the Elengant PC Reforged and Scary Phenom VS: Venom, I wanted to capture bothe the Elegance as well as the scariness and combine them together in this one.
    I started it in 2011 and am working on it parallel to the RENEGADE, The Public Enemy.
    The Black Widow is spider that really caught my interest after seeing its elegandce and learning more about it. Apart from that I was just as fascinated by it as bike builders and other artists too.
    It will be quite high and even though it will be very present, it wont really have much body.
    I am giving it a never seen before form and going to set it off with certain widow nets of steel.
    They will be airbrushed and it will have some new features, for instance how its turned on. wait and see... here are the 1rst pics.
    As usual, it all started with a few rough sketches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and worked oin from there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so having finished the man frame, it has to be covered now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    one can slowly but surely see what i meant with present but without much body
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    making hardboard templetes for the side widow nets
    [​IMG]
    then i had the first problems of bending the iron rods, so i made a bender jig
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the hardest part was getting both sides evena and the same as they are all curving outwards and at the same time so many little curves backwards, that was hell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    seeing as i am wlding for the first time and without gas, i will have to do a lot of grinding and sanding afterwards
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here the welds are not yet smoothed off but they fit the template
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here come the rear speaker casings, will give the rear top a little more width too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and here is the first draft molten solder widow i made, you can see it but it didnt make the final build, had a better idea which i will come to later
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    more to come soon..

Livio, Waynio, AnG3L and 1 other person like this.
  2. paz45

paz45 What's a Dremel?

Awsome work look forward to updates

3. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

WOW that looks awsome! Really really really dig the wood work there!

Keep up the good work, and +rep!

4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

No words to express my self here. This is a modding heaven for my eyes and soul my friend, keep on the amazing work my friend!! Have some rep and 5 stars too!!

5. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

This is looking EPIC! even at this early stage it looks like a work of art, subbed for sure :)

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

O wow, this is brilliant, following this one for sure. Looks amazing so far.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Excellent work! I seem to have a PC I'm just going to have to keep (dunno why people don't want 16 core machines, honestly) and this gives me a great idea as to where to start with it!

8. RustyTool

RustyTool What's a Dremel?

very very very nice work.
    I guess that's what u do for a living and u r doing it awesomely.
    keep us updated with pics plz

9. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

wow! awesome! have to ask, what kind of wood are you using? seems to bend so easily! or do you have a steamer?

incredibly design! first it looked so small and then when you stand next to it it looks HUGE! (no offence but you dont look that small. ;)

10. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

This is awesome cool project. I like it.

11. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Such creativeness and great workmanship. :thumb:

Long live the scratch builds. :)

12. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Freaking awesome.

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Absolute awesomeness, truly is & juggling 2 incredible projects like this & renegade, that's some real sweet woodwork & love the webbing pieces you made. :D:jawdrop:

So glad you came to mod & awe :D:rock: love it. :clap:

I have a hunch anything you can think of you can make it, this is brilliant. :D:clap:

stars & rep wow :rock:

14. Njuso

Njuso What's a Dremel?

15. Sn00k3r

Sn00k3r What's a Dremel?

Holy Moly..! :jawdrop:

That's Kick-Ass craftsmanship :rock:

:D

16. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

thanks everyone

first of all, before i post the next pics, i would just like to say you guys all rock.
    thanks to

Sn00k3r, Njuso, Waynio, Achron, craig - toyoracer, Pranja, Kehlmann, RsutyTool, KayinBlack, bolldogjeff, Editor22, AnG3L, p0Pe and paz45.
    for your comments and am really glad you all like my work.

@waynio, no, unfortunately not.
    i wish i could make anything i think of-they way i picture it, but my wallet and time always gets in the way.

@kehlmann, the bendable wood for PC-Reforged project was just veneer wood all stuck on eachother with the gran all in the same direction so that it be bent along the grain in one direction. For the BLACK WIDOW however i bought the mentioned ready made from a local carpenter. And , no offence taken, i am indeed, well lets say pleasently plump :)

@RustyTool, believe me buddy, i really wish i could earn my daily bread with this art. No i am selfemployed in the art sector and spend most of my free time combinind my art with every day electronics. I f you know anyone who could require my skills and has a relating job for me i will pack up my self employement straight away :)

@ everyone else thanks again that it appeals, and here are some pics of the progress so far.
    as you can see in the last pics i made a mold for what was my first idea of a widow spider for the front. i used solder silver molten into the mold which i made by pressing a scroll sawed spider into. the result wasnt that bad, but i have a better idea for the front now.
    these will be the speakers left and right, also give the case more width at the back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here you can see how i cann access the base, the base will be openen with a hatch where i will set in the psu. when open like in the picture i cann then access the wiring which goes from the mainboard in the rear, leading to the front and everythin else there. it really took some setting to get the balance right.
    [​IMG]
    here you can see the inner webbed grills i made just actually because i took the BLACK WIDOW to an exhibition and need some, they were quickies and wont make the final build. have new ones coming, much better and eleganter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now for the main heroin of this case. may i introduce THE BLACK WIDOW HERSELF she will not just be the prime figure in this build but also have functions, as you will see in coming photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    she was really a lot of work, but she loved the way i passionatly sanded her abdomen:D
    [​IMG]
    didnt want her legs to be flat, as you can see she has contours and bend in them, was a lot of fine work there
    [​IMG]
    she will be black and reds done with airbrush when finished, and as i mentioned earlier she has a cause too, she is not just a pretty detail, she will be vital for certain functions later on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the speakers jogwheel was won from an old set of noname speakers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the edges oc the case will be sanded off and it will have mat as well as red pinstripes and other black elements. the webs will all be airbrushed and polished in a glossy finish.
    more to come

Last edited: 9 Jul 2012
  17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:jawdrop:

DUUUUUUUUUDE! I gotta itemize all the stuff I want to say.:lol:
    -Olympic first post.
    -I thought my sketches were rough.:lol:
    -I LOVE the fact that the only square edges are on the base. It's very organic and the odd angles don't seem to be slowing you down.
    -Based on the pic with your hand on the frame: That thing is huge!
    -Gonna be awesome!
    -Clever design. I'm betting the big hollow frame is for stashing cables and hoses.

There's probably more, but I lost track.:thumb:

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Superb use of layers & huge creativity & craftsmanship. :clap:

Those spiders are awesome, looks a beauty as it is but will get even better as this whole thing progresses. :D:rock:

Like AnG3L said, it's modding heaven. :D

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
  19. Johnny71

Johnny71 What's a Dremel?

interesting work I must say :D

20. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Another great update. :)

Nice details on those legs too. :thumb: