1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SilverStone explains why the TJ11 is so expensive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Jul 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Poor production engineering. Or a poor excuse...

3. Velkro

Velkro What's a Dremel?

4. lga45

lga45 What's a Dremel?

Brits are always complaining about the price being too high ;) And bit-tech/custom pc has a tendency to mark down the highest quality hardware on price, give it a low score for "value for money". How do you mark down a new model of a rolls royce on "value for money"? and do you think ppl who consider buying such hardware really care about the odd extra hundred quid here or there? Please remember the old(er) - ahem - adults - who read forums like this, who have good jobs andwho care about quality first of all... price being a secondary consideration for our favourite hobby :)

5. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Value for me is buying good quality and having it stand up to the trials I put a gaming computer through. Buying 3 100€ cases instead of one 250€ one is not wise. Additionally less expensive parts will usually give you poorer performance over the shorter time they work, not at all useful for online combat operations.

Always buy the best and make sure to have a backup monitor, kb and mouse ready to be plugged in if the primary one fails!

S*D

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Ah this is bull... make a minified version with same build quality and options for half the price of this monster.

7. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

The point is it is a rolls royce. So the value for the dollar is really low. A civic has WAY more value for the dollar than any rolls ever produce. Now if you've got the money, you get a lot more out of that rolls than you do the civic. They'll both get you from point A to point B though. This case isn't an entry level case for a budget build, its a high end case for a high end build (or at least I hope that is what you are doing with it). Almost any market segment, and in particular in consumer electronics and computers, invested dollar has rapidly dimminishing returns. A $1,000 Intel extreme processor does not have 10 times the processing power of a $100 processor (assuming same generation of processor).

8. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Actually, the point being, they thought they charged what the market would bear. They found out that they overestimated the present economic situation and now they go to the press, like a bunch of whiny bitches crying about how much more they are worth working the conventions instead of walking the streets, crying and mewling about how much it costs them to barely squeeze out 5 cases a day on the measly pittance that they are asking us rich, round-eyes for, to own one of their dear and precious play pretties.
    Which slaves are making these things? Chinese, Vietnamese or the almost never mentioned Japanese slaves? I just looked it up. They're Taiwanese, so that means Chinese slave labour. How many kilo's of rice do you think these cases are actually worth to you, my dear readers? Especially when your rice pilaf is colored with the blood of the downtrodden and oppressed?
    Whenever you buy that item with the "Made in China" label, you're financially supporting the system that destroys so many lives, each and every day. As long as you pay the master, the slave will surely suffer and die.
    Ain't a "free economy" grand? Enjoy!

9. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

So...an article discussing the price of something which doesn't actually mention the price of something.

10. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

The link is on the 1st line, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/04/08/silverstone-temjin-tj11-review/1 but I agree... sloppy writing/editing given that the price/value is up for discussion

It's £474.90 now so you can save a whopping 28 pence... w00t

11. John_T

John_T Minimodder

In fairness I think many of us (some of us anyway) get upset not so much at the given price of something, but at the fact that many products simply cost 30-35%+ more here than in other countries - and that's after all taxes have been stripped out and you're comparing the ex. VAT prices. It obviously doesn't happen on all products, but it happens enough to be damned irritating. And not just on hardware, but on software too: stuff that is downloaded (hence no shipping fees) doesn't need translating, and so has absolutely no excuse for the huge mark-up.

That's what winds me up anyway.

I understand your point re: the Rolls Royce analogy, that value is obviously a subjective thing with diminishing returns the higher up the scale you go, but even with a Rolls Royce you can still compare values. You can't fairly compare it to a Honda Civic like azazel suggested, but you can compare it to similar class cars: a Bentley, a Mercedes S-Class, a Maybach 57 etc. If the Rolls cost £285k, with the Bently £133k, the S-Class £165k and the Mayback £280k, then you can look at it and say the Rolls is dear, but it's reasonably priced compared to the competition - whereas if it cost, say £585k, you can say it's bad value for money full stop - even for a high-end luxury product with an expected premium.

I think Bit-tech are right to include value scores - people can easily enough look at the other scoring criteria and decide whether it's worth the premium to them...

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

All that effort into making somthing someone is going to take a Dremel to

13. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

At the end of the day, this case is ugly, out of proportions and full of useless gimmicks. It has nothing on clean lines and functional simplicity of TJ07. Just look at the Murderboxes, one can't possibly imagine a beautifully thought out and elegant system built into a trash dump like TJ11.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The issue is, they missed the "high end" price level altogether. Sorry for using german euro prices as a base for comparison, but i find hard to find UK shops which sell all the stuff i'm going to compare.

TJ11B-W with window is 559,90 EUR, while Lian Li PC-V2120X Big-Tower is 399 euros and Lian Li PC-X2000FB TYR - 379 euros ? True, they don't have a window, but does a 160-180 euro price bonus really justifies that ?

Simply, Silverstone overestimated what people will and can buy (or justify to buy), and now dislikes that their sales are not where they expected it to be.

Dear Silverstone, if it is so hard to produce, so expensive to produce, maybe it is time to create TJ11L aka Lite. Use the older, cheaper technology, use single layer panels etc etc...

Get the price down to the usual high end case price range (300-400 euros max), and you will get customers. At 500+ euro price range, you will whine why customers aren't buying.

You know, the most ugliest part of the case is that hole in middle. I mean, seriously ?

15. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

It's a Nice case and all, But way too expensive for Me, All I can afford in March 2012 is to supplement My old HAF-932 case with a Danger Den 3x360 radiator enclosure(CAS-EX10-2), I'm saving for a possible move.

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

It's a nice and well equipped case. Is it worth over £400? Not to me, but I can see that to some people it would be.

17. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I looked at getting one but the price and reversed motherboard among other things put me off. I didn't think I'd be getting £500 worth of case. I also looked at the Mountain Mods, Little Devils and XSPC H2 then got a Case Labs instead.

18. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Me too, at least on the first two as I needed a case that could hold 2 psus and do water cooling too, But when one is disabled and receiving SSI-D(Supplemental Security Income - Disability here in the USA), It would take Me a while before I could buy it, so it's the less expensive route for Me to just buy an add-on case instead.

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Yup or they just don't care about the price

BTW sandblasting and anodizing don't take that long if you do it right

20. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

as a manufacturing engineer, it sounds like they came out wrong in their processes. Usually their sales folks will set a target market price the engineers would try to hit. Some of it might be the cost of tooling, but I doubt it could be that big of a difference.

All I can say is they probably screwed the pooch on the manufacturing end. 1/10th the build time is way off base, unless it was completely hand-built or offered revolutionary performance.

Also whatever happened to those phase changers, at those prices it would be neat to see a phase change unit again. I remember thinking "whoah" when I saw the vapochill back in the day... now the case seems dated and the concept dead as you can hit 4ghz on air.

Tags: Add Tags