1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone Fortress FTZ01 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 14 Jul 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher What's a Dremel?

I do own the Raven RVZ01 and I am still impressed with this case. I found that the ideal setup for my system (i7 4790k + Gainward 680 GTX Phantom - no OC) is to pull fresh air in via the graphics compartment and exhaust via the CPU/MoBo compartment. I have ditched the 140/13 mil fan that came with me Raijintek Pallas in favor of a standard 120/25 mil fan mounted to the case's sidepanel with rubber rivets facing outwards.
    I wouldn't be able to post temperatures out of memory but both them and the noise level are so subtle that I keep forgetting to look them up...

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Interesting setup DreamCatcher. So basically there's no fan on your CPU cooler but you're drawing air through the heatsink using the side fan mount + fan there and using it as an exhaust?

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's essentially a nicer looking shell for the RVZ01's chassis. Which if it came out with the RVZ01 would be fantastic, but right now is up against both the smaller RVZ02, the Node 202 from Fractal Designs, and a plethora of boutique ITX cases that are even smaller with the same hardware support.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

But the RVZ02 looks nasty with that awful, cheap looking plastic side grill.

What I don't like about this case is again to do with the vents. I really don't like the look of the screw-in grill plates used on both sides for the dual vent and the single vent on the other side, especially as the other single vent is a more discrete 'punched-hole' style vent.
    It would have looked much better and more consistent to have both grill plates on the same side and then the discrete vent as the single vent on the other side, or even better... ALL vents should have been of the 'punched-hole' type from the start. The aesthetics of those vents are enough to put me off buying the case.

6. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher What's a Dremel?

Exactly. With a standard 25 mil fan there is less than a 3 mil gap between the top of the heat sink and the fan anyway.

And I would agree, the standard side panel fan grills do even look worse than the plastic parts. Hence my plan is to dremel them out and stick a hex mesh on top. I already bought some racing grill which usually gets used to pimp rides. On this occasion, the CPU compartment will see an upgrade to a 140 mil fan which uses the 120’s mountings thus increasing airflow and/or reducing noise even more :cooldude:

Actually, I found the Node 202 very interesting but the reduced height is an issue to me: It would not allow my setup as described above. Additionally, my next GPU (most probably a 980 Ti, MSI, Gigabyte or so) will see the stock fans removed whilst retaining the heat sink. Then, the side intake will get two standard 120 fans which are 25 mil thick. The plan is to use the card’s pwm signal but draw power form the power supply directly. This would also not be possible in the Node 202 or RVZ02!

Last edited: 14 Jul 2015
  7. Primum Agmen

Primum Agmen What's a Dremel?

Pah, I've got one with a slim 240mm radiator cooling the CPU and GPU quite happily. It's certainly awkward and requires some patience, but Silverstone have a guide on recommended components for putting in 1x120mm and 2x120mm radiators.

It does mean some sacrifices - low profile RAM, notably - but it will go in. They recommend barbs for a reason.

Tags: Add Tags