1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows XP given its twelve-month notice

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Apr 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Yeah, probably about time - its possibly unfair to ask Microsoft to continue releasing things for its OS indefinitely. Windows 7 and 8 are substantially better, too.

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Thank god. That OS is an old PoS by now.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm still on a branded XP at the office. Not that I haven't implored for Windows 7, the company is just slow and dormant. Pisses me off...

5. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

I can't wait. Working with XP in a professional IT position was awful. The Windows 7 machines were always so reliable I never got to do much work on them.

6. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Still on XP where I work but I believe there is an upgrade program underway.

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

We are slowly moving over to 7 now but as our machines are all on a 3 year rotation there will still be a few left over after a years time.

Hey, at least we managed to get rid of Novell....

8. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

Just moved to W7 at work (along with a spanky new dual head GPU and a pair of nice-ish monitors that were long overdue, yaay).

Every silver lining has its cloud though; I have also been unceremoniously dumped into the world of ribbon-infested MS Office. Too many clicks to do drudge admin work like reports and docs, but worse still it has destroyed the toolbars and menu entries for all the add-ins I develop and maintain. Thanks a bunch Sinofsky.

I assume Office 2003's support lifecycle will end at the same time as XP's?

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

it does - it was announced at the same time in 2009

10. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

OK that means Office 2007's next to get the bullet so I'll bear that in mind, would probably get Office 2010 before Windows 8, if I bothered with W8 at all.

To be fair I only got rid of the last Vista installation in the family recently, but MS have gone above and beyond what they had to in giving firms one more year of XP, I loved it, but moved on.

I'm thinking more of overseas where the machines might have been donated, they now have the year to decide what to do or get into a position where they can get one of those "N" versions of windows or whatever the code was for the cut-down copies.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I personally like XP because it's very bare and very light on resources, though on modern hardware it is, to put it both bluntly and literally, retarded to use. I've used Windows 7 32 bit with PAE support specifically because the 64 bit counterpart nearly doubles the disk space and RAM usage with very little programs to actually benefit from the extra registers. For a while I even used XP with DX10 for the same reason, but once I got a DX11 GPU (around the same time Windows 7 came out), I decided it was time to move on.

I'm perfectly fine with XP disappearing as long as MS cleans up their code. Seriously, a fresh install of Windows 8 64 bit uses up about 17GB. That is more disk space than all my personal files, game saves, linux setup, and Mac setup COMBINED. Knock off 10GB and it's STILL a huge OS. HDD space these days is cheap, but SSD space is not. I don't feel like spending about $15-$20 of SSD space for an OS I barely use.

As a side note, I have managed to shrink Win8 to about 8GB, but I can't do much more than that without breaking the system.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2013
  12. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

M$ should simply create an SP4 for WinXP, sell it for $40 like Apple does with their updates and extend support for another 4 years or so. This would bring in the money, people would get to keep the systems they are comfortable with and systems would be brought up to date on security front ... win-win for both M$ and customers, as opposed to them trying to shove Win8 down our throats. at that same price (while no doubt costing much more to create and maintain).

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I guess you never had to work with an old, crappy code.

14. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

My college is still vastly on Win XP. They've got like 3 rooms on Win7 now and random computers in each other computer room. According to my teacher it Win7 works fine now, they just don't want to upgrade, why college? Why? :confused:

15. SighMoan

SighMoan What's a Dremel?

Be thankful you have Office. We are being nudged towards Google Docs at work!

16. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

My work computer uses Windows 2000 and ie6, I cry a lot at work

17. nsymons

nsymons What's a Dremel?

Worryingly almost the whole NHS is still based on XP and IE6. Trying to get IE8 on XP machines is hard enough

18. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Government... Was at a German hospital recently and they had i5 itx machines and awesome cherry keyboards with card reader and touchpads, running win7

19. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

They should drop it right now!

20. Xir

Xir Modder

They sold it new as a netbook OS till about 2-3 few years ago.
    Stopping support is a problem for those.

Then again, I don't think my old macheine has ever gotten an update since install, it runs XP-SP3 without any patches and guess what, nothing happends. :D

According to nexxo in the Win8 marmite thread, the NHS is on Win8 and tablets
    win8 marmite thread

They need the cardreader keyboards because of their silly card system.