1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD unveils Radeon HD 8000M GCN family

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Dec 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Hmm Interesting.

Wonder what the desktop cards are going to be like?

However with no performance figures around it's going to be difficult to see if the claims are true of between a 20% - 70% improvement over the Nvidia 650M.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That entry level 8500 DDR3 series is pretty much the same as my 5650M with a wee overclock (which in itself is an underclocked 5770 anyway). And less stream processors. Single-precision throughput is pretty much the same.

Anything new?!?!

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What, aside from the model number? The newest feature is the fact it's the GCN architecture on a 28nm lithographic process. In theory, that means that chips of the same performance should draw less power than their larger predecessors. Sadly, AMD hasn't shared TDP on any of the chips, so at present we have absolutely no idea if "should" equates to "will."

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"62 gigaflops of double-precision compute power"

Sorry,but this figure means absolutely nothing to me in trying to determine its real world power...what is the memory bandwidth figure,pixel fill rates, 128bit or 256bit, etc,etc.

6. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

For a minute there I thought I was reading about the nVidia 8000 series. It even follows the hierarchy naming scheme with 8800 at the top!

7. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

It'll follow the NV 8xxx series if they have half a dozen completely different cards all starting with 8800. Then bring out 9xxx cards that someone has put a fresh label on.

8. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Fewer :p

9. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

You know how Trinity has that onboard GPU. Could you pair it with an 8000m gpu and have a sort of Hybrid SLI/Xfire setup?

10. Gareth Halfacree

No: you can't do AMD Dual Graphics (as the technology is known) between generations, and Trinity's GPU is pre-GCN. The successor to Trinity, however, should be compatible with the 8000M-series (and, theoretically, the 8000-series desktop GPUs) for Dual Graphics purposes.

11. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

i was thinking about a future laptop with a triple GPU setup....

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Toshiba-SLI-Qosmio-X305,news-2904.html

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Yes. Pedantry at its finest. A man after my own heart.
    (I nearly added an apostrophe in 'its' but then realised it might look like I'm grammatically incorrect...!)