1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asetek sues Cooler Master over Seidon liquid coolers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 11 Mar 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Anyone know, did Asetek win the case they had against CoolIT ?

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

As allways. General ideas should not be patentable, and a closed loop is very much a general idea.

If Asetek wants to patend it's pump, or it's radiator-design then this is all good, but the general idea of having a pump attached to a cooling-block and two hoses to connect this unit to a radiator is not worth to be patended imho.

If the judges have any braincells left, they should discard this case instantly.

4. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Surely trying to patent a pump or radiator design by itself would have been even more intrinsicly flawed since that could be construed as being taken from design from the automotive industry to name one.

For someone to have taken something akin to a cars radiator cooling system and innovatively come up with a new way of cooling the inside of a computer seems solid enough to me and a good enough idea worthwhile protecting.

The main question for me though is down to the legitamacy of the patents themselves, are they too broad all and emcompassing? Has Coolermaster intentionally copied the Asetek design or is it just very similar?

5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Just another example of the flawed patent system.

However, seeing as it is so lucrative for companies and lawyers I can see it being changed. Politicians won't change anything as they are so cheaply bought, particularly in the US where the big changes would have to be.

Unfortunately, it is the whole world which loses out as the patent system,as it stands,hinders innovation incredibly.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I was actually trying to figure that out as I was writing the article, and failed miserably. Trying to get actual, useful information out of the US court system appears to be next to impossible. As far as I could gather, the case is still ongoing, but I couldn't find anything definitive.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

8. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

I think most of us that have dabled in water cooling over the years had though of sealed systems well before 2005. If only we had put out a patent we'd be laughing!

I genuinly worry about inovation with the current patents being filed by the big tech companies. It seems that pretty much everyone involved with computers/electronics/AV systems is having to pay a licence fee to some obscure crap to someone or other. This is fine if you have enough of a portfolio to offset them against but will undoubtedly kill off competition from smaller startups.

The number of patents filed by the big tech companies is now higher in 1 year than the whole of the 90s. Sad really.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

IFTFY :thumb:

YEHBABY likes this.
  10. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

^this guy. This guy, RIGHT here^ The US gov't is all about money. There is no such thing as a law. Only guidlines that slaughter the small guy which can be blown right on through or manipulated with cash as easily as lindsay lohan with a bag of crack. :lol: