1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi! Wanted to introduce my folding self

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by gero1369, 12 Jan 2012.

1. gero1369

gero1369 Ummm...Wha?

Hello!

Just dropping by and introducing myself. I found the forum by doing a google search on '3930k PPD'.

I like to check out other forums besides my 'home team' forum.

It's crazy the increase in the PPD over the past two years or so.

I like to go for the best possible PPD/Watt. That is really what helps in the long run when folding.

My current rigs are:
    AMD Phenom II 720 stock speed
    Nvidia GTS 450 @ 932

Intel i7 930 @ 3.8 GHz
    Nvidia GTX 460, OC'd
    Nvidia GTS 450, OC'd

See what I'm crankin' out:
    http://gero1369.com/folding/

See my points:
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=451193

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Jan 2012
    cave_diver likes this.
  2. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Hi there, and welcome to our forum. Those are some nice points you're cranking out :)

3. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

Dang that's good!!

You've got to explain how to get those bagdes, they look niiiiice!

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

+1 to the folding stats - very attractive! Nice PPD too - you're going to take some catching!

As for your note about PPD/Watt, I think that the i7 3930k is going to be your best bet until the BIGADV changes (here) or possibly overclocked 2600K's and 2700k's on a sandy bridge, but until the EXACT points are "out in the wild" we cannot say for sure what it will be going forward.

We know that with each architecture change, Intels chips have become more and more efficient per clock cycle, and therefore per watt, but there have been a number of changes to the pointing structure over the past year, which makes any analysis done null, as it's out of date almost as quick as it's updated.

I did find an article that's a bit old now that you might find useful

http://www.overclock.net/t/591976/folding-home-cpu-ppd-database

There's a corresponding page for GPU's. If you were to correlate the CPU's with the approximate power (depends on number of disks, memory and other items that each user has, so it's never going to be an exact science) then you could derive an approximate PPD rating. PPD does also vary SIGNIFICANTLY per project, so you'd have to take some measurements over a range of projects as well as a range of hardware and their settings.

We could start that here if anyone fancies it? I might just start that thread tonight! :)

Now. Anyone know how to set up a spreadsheet that we can share like on that overclock.net site?

5. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

Tatters - I have been contemplating writing a comprehensive guide on setting up f@h for n00bs to pro's like Atlas folder .. one section I thought of was an úber chart showing various hardwares' performance. So something like that is exactly what I had in mind!

6. gero1369

gero1369 Ummm...Wha?

IIRC, I got the badges from a stickied thread in the EVGA forum. I'm going to have them as my sig after I get 10 posts.

@cave_diver: use the [ img] tags (space added) to surround the image url to get them in your sig.

@Tatty: The most efficient setup that I've seen/heard of is by far a 4P Opteron 6166 setup. Gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 900 PPD/Watt.

I'm planning on building my own 2P/4P setup in about a year, year & 1/2 or so. I'm starting on planning now, but I can't predict the future, so things will likely change. At the moment, I'm planning on finishing with a setup like the above, but that depends on what the 2P Xeons can do as well as what the 20 core Opterons are capable of (and pricing on both). If I'm able to get some cash set aside sooner, I will be going the 4P Opteron route for sure, if not, we'll see what's available when I do get some cash built up for a Mobo and at least one or two procs, memory, etc.

7. Tattysnuc

OK - I'm going to have a look at this tomorrow and start filling in some stats for the rigs I've got going at home.

I've not come across Atlas folder before - just Google'd it and found the sets of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AtlasFolder?feature=watch

I did a bit of work a while back with the ACTUAL effect of folding (PPD rate) on GPU's. Wonder if we can incorporate that and fill that out a bit with other hardware details?

8. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

I've got [​IMG]

9. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

I'm thinking we will need to create a sticky thread "insert your hardware with PPD here" - between the entire community we can cover a wide range of equipment.

10. Tattysnuc

That's a hell of a project you've got lined up there. Be interesting to see the PPD/Watt if we start a "survey" here on Bit-tech.

I'm going to have a look to see how you calculate the THEORETICAL power going through a CPU when it's working. It's going to be some sort of function of VCore, Frequency and Current, but I'm not entirely sure EXACTLY how to work it out.

Anyone any ideas?

11. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

Could you not take a more simplistic (therefore less error prone) solution? Wack in your lowest power gpu that you have (8800GS and before levels is what I'm thinking - I've got one for sale up for donation see the market place ;) [/shameless plug]) then put a power meter on your tower plug - measure the power draw - for all intents and purposes thats the power your tower & cpu pulls.

Wack in modern, over-powered gpu - the difference is the power pulled by the gpu.

Or are you really trying to work out the relationship in detail? Remember its also going to involve temperature - resistance and frequency characteristics change with temperature.

12. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

found something on the lines of what you want:

http://eracks.com/products/AMD Systems/config?sku=OPTERNATOR48

(operteron-nator psml)

and full-spec'd one is 30k :eeek:

13. gero1369

gero1369 Ummm...Wha?

don't need nearly all of that stuff to get fully up and running to full potential (450k PPD - 550k PPD+).
    Here's the breakdown:
    Mobo: $600-$720
    CPUs: $1800 (4x Opteron 6166 HE)
    Memory: $200 - $440 (1.35 V server memory)
    PSU: $100 - $120 (1000 Watt or so)
    HDD: $40 or whatever is lying around
    Case (if needed): $100ish

Total: $2840 - $3300

The price can be brought down significantly by piecing things together and by going with other procs first. Two to four 6128s (can be had for $100-$150 on ebay) can be used to start instead of the 6166s. If you only go with two, then you would need half the memory as well. 4x the 6128s brings the PPD down to around 225k-300k PPD or so. Here's the difference if you go the cheapest route to get started with two procs:

CPU: $250 (2x 6128s)
    Memory: $100
    Everything else: same as above.

Total: ~$1100

Great price for getting things started!

Last edited: 19 Jan 2012