1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Business Knows Us Too Well

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 6 Jul 2007.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

An interesting view that I find a little bit flawed, at least in the case of Google. AT&T's description is probably spot on, but then again they're a much older company with an accompanying much older business model. Google certainly data mines like no other (well, besides Amazon), but I don't think we've yet to see any real evidence that this is being used anywhere other than internally. If they can cobble together my search history and better target ads, it's really better for everyone all around - they get more ad revenue, as do the sites I frequent. I find deals that might be better on products I'm already interested in, or find alternatives or new ideas (along the lines of Amazon's product recommendations).

At the end of the day, it's really just wise business decisions (read up on CRM), at least until third parties get involved. Once that happens, all bets are off.