1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux pdf and microsoft html files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dazza007, 22 Jul 2009.

1. Dazza007

Dazza007 What's a Dremel?

I'm currently reading ebooks and sitting at my computer desk is wearing a bit thin, got loads to study, so I was thinking of purchasing a Linux netbook (because they're cheaper) so I can read in more comfort, does anyone know if you can read pdf's and Microsoft html help (.chm) files on these babys, play.com have them for £159.

While I'm on the subject, if they cant use them how do you install xp from a pen drive? However, I'd prefer to not use window's if I can help it.

Dazza

Last edited: 22 Jul 2009
  2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

3. Paddy

Paddy What's a Dremel?

Most Linux distributions come with a PDF viewer installed by default, so you should have no problem there. You can even install Adobe PDF Viewer if you want to! There are some .chm viewers for Linux, but you can easily convert one to a PDF using a command line tool, I think I have sucessfully used chm2pdf previously.

If you don't like the standard Linux distribution that comes with the netbook, most these days can very easily be installed from a pen drive. Windows is a bit trickier, but it is doable and takes a while to set up. The easiest way to do it is to use an external CD drive, or like I did butcher an external HD caddy and replace the HD with a normal internal CD Drive.

4. ZoFreX

ZoFreX What's a Dremel?

PDF and CHM both have very mature readers for Linux now... I'd Google around and decide which ones you like best yourself.

Also consider an e-reader if you are just using it for eBooks, as you will get better battery life out of one of them.

5. bakb0ne

bakb0ne What's a Dremel?

Jus wondering, have you ever considered the more advanced TTS Software (text-to-speech)

Its alot more advanced than it used to be.

Personally I use NATURAL READER, im sure you can find the professional version somewhere ;)

6. Dazza007

Excellent responces, thanks.

I was considering an e'reader but they are more expensive than the netbook and I wasnt too sure about the.chm format with them, the girlfriend says I cant afford the netbook and doesnt know I'm getting it but at least i can multi task with it, if she found out about a e-reader she'd start spitting feathers and hit the roof! They're better for your eyes and better battery life but I'll wait till the cost comes down because I just dont think they're worth it.
    Anyone know what the Linpus version of Linux is like?

Daz

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Most mobo's treat USB pendrives as hard drives these days - that makes them easier to boot from...

8. bakb0ne

bakb0ne What's a Dremel?

Natural Reader 9.0 FREE http://www.naturalreaders.com/standardsetup.exe

There basic program is free of charge, it will do the job nicely (I just prefer the other voices)

9. gnutonian

gnutonian What's a Dremel?

As usual, the FSF directory has the answers ;)

I use ePDFView, it's very lightweight and does the job perfectly. If you need more advanced features than zooming and rotating, you should have a look here.
    However, most pre-installed distributions come "fully installed" (i.e. with desktop environments). The desktop environments tend to include a PDF reader, too.

As for .chm files, it seems xCHM would do the job.

You're going to explain the man how to set up Wine to run that .exe, too? :p

10. bakb0ne

bakb0ne What's a Dremel?

No, the point of the suggestion is that he would not need a linux netbook if he used TTS software. He is after comfort compared to sitting at his desk reading them on a screen.

11. gnutonian

I've just read the OP's posts again, I thought he said he had already ordered it. Re-reading that one sentence it barely implies it ("I am getting it"). Sorry for my unwarrented bitchiness, it was early ;)

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

ah I see.. yeah was wondering why it wouldn't be under removeable- kind of confusing.. actually that makes sense cause bootable usb sticks that won't boot in vmware, seem to work fine in my main :eek:

13. Dazza007

hang on hang on,wine?im using this little beauty now its cool, got it 2 hours ago and its fine. dont understand what your talking about with some of the previous posts.

Daz

I've read on another forum something about wine, but it was hard to understand, could someone try and explain it please, i looked on xchm but coulnt find the linux (fedora 7) version but maybe i didnt look properly. I'll go and have another look now.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2009
  14. gnutonian

Basically, Wine allows you to run MS Windows programs on a GNU/Linux distribution. That's pretty much all I know as I don't use it myself :blush:

The xCHM site doesn't list RPM or other packages, but it links to these older versions. To install the newest version, you need to download it and build it from source after you've installed the dependencies.
    Or, for a slightly older version, you can try one of these RPMs.