1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another glimpse on working conditions for a million Foxconn workers

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Chicken76, 15 Sep 2012.

1. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It may do, but convention in SD is that you offer an opinion, point of view or argument up for discussion. So what do you think?

3. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Living conditions aside the working conditions don't seem that bad to me anyway. Then again I work on the farm 5 am to 7 pm with 30 mins for lunch so maybe my view is warped.

Living conditions and work conditions need to be brought up to a reasonable standard then again it's not like the government will take notice.

4. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Farm working is much different, try standing still with a bend neck for ten hours straight. There are more physical work on a farm (grew up on one) however you get to use your entire body and do not spend the entire time doing the exact same thing.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The article absolutely does speak for itself (last paragraph):

"Although there is no guarantee of the report’s authenticity..."

Whilst the Foxconn factory is probably not plush hotel accommodation, I think that these stories are always embellished to give them an exaggerated controversial edge. Nobody's denying that these people have it hard, but like most articles of a similar ilk, this one is nigh devoid of perspective. For starters, we're talking about China, not Silicon Valley...

6. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Unskilled labourers are recruited, scheduled to work long hard hours, and generally not trated like an individual...

Big news story that... I read through it thinking..... so where's the surprise? It's a step away from being a sweat shop. What else is new? I've not had a lunch break all week, worked 10-11 hour shifts, and my company doesn't provide me with lunch, or a bed as part of my employment terms.*

Middle management sucks @$$ in this country too!

*I do get a lunch hour, and we do have kitchen facilities, and a "good" pension but my point is that anyone can sound hard done by if you're only looking at things with a critical eye. There's nothing new in this, and in fact I have to say, this is not as bad as I would have expected had someone asked me to describe what I could have imagined what what was going on. It doesn't make it acceptable in this country, but it's a harsh reality elsewhere..

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

With regards to the dormitory's how does that compare to the living conditions of where they have come from? I#m sure most merchant seamen live in far more cramped bunks than that.

8. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Exactly.

It's precisely this sort of ... un-physical work that does soo much harm to your body and soul. The job ruins your back and rots your mind. I think anyone would rather flog themselves in countryside surroundings than become a worker ant on a heaving, noisy factory floor.