1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Outlook REPEATEDLY downloading DUPLICATE emails

Discussion in 'Software' started by neil_b, 30 Nov 2015.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Family member (totally tech un-savvy) has an old Dell laptop (XP), runs Outlook and Chrome and thats it really. From beginning of Nov, evey time she does a send/receive, she's RE-receiving emails that have already been downloaded - she's now got 7-8 copies of all emails since 1/11/15, and most rencently, as it tries to duplicate-download these old emails it fails with a "time-out" error. Deleting them on the laptop does not stop them coming back - so I'm thinking server problem.

Things I'm sure about;

1) She's not touched a SINGLE setting on the laptop, she can just about open email and do a send-receive and that's literally it - she DOESN'T want to touch even things like volume settings etc. I know she hasn't touched any settings anywhere.
    2) I've not touched any settings on the laptop for a couple of years either.
    3) The Outlook advanced setting; "keep a copy on the server..." box is NOT ticked (first thing I looked for) so it should NOT be keeping copies on the server as far as I can see - per the Outlook settings anyway.
    4) I can log in to the BT Yahoo email account, but not sure I'm looking at the Server that's causing the problem - I have a feeling about 3-4 years we had the exact same problem, and needed to get to the real email Yahoo server - not the BT web client etc.

Grateful for any input on this as its a P.I.A problem.

Thanks!

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it sounds like its not completing a send/receive properly so re-downloading them.

the other thing it could be is a damaged profile

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

This often happens if you've got another device accessing the email account. Does your family member also have a smartphone attached to the email too?
    (I think I remember there being a problem with Samsung's email client duplicating emails in the last month or two, might be worth a google)

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I would look at damaged outlook profile. Export all to pst then create a new profile, or backup pst and run scanpst
    Also check all windows and office updates.
    I would also run a check disk to rule out disk corruption.
    Also windows XP is unsupported, it really is time to move on.

5. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Thanks for the suggestions - it looks like it simply wasn't completing the send/receive in time, so I've increased the time-out and will see if that works long-term.