1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oculus Rift CV1 gets the iFixit tear-down treatment

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Mar 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

For someone who hasn't been following the development of the Rift this tear-down really got me up to speed on where they are and was a very interesting to read. :)

3. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

For someone who has been using dk2 since last year and lots of hours flying on elite dangerous this tear down was interesting. Interesting to see a multi part lens. I think the vive just has a simple low ring density Fresnel so the cv1 optics look superior.

I can't help feeling annoyed about the lack of oculus touchy feely though especially in comparison to vive with its room scale, matrix cam and controllers.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2016
  4. TimB

TimB What's a Dremel?

Did iFixit use to provide a cost breakdown of the materials to give a guess at the manufacturing costs? That was what I was really looking for, and I could have sworn they did that. Or am I thinking of another similiar type website?

5. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I think you'll find the people aren't being conned in this case. It's not just the cost of the parts either but the massive R&D.