1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Telephone scam calls alert

Discussion in 'General' started by techhead, 30 Jan 2017.

1. techhead

techhead Minimodder

I have received 4 phone calls today claiming that they are from BT and I have a problem with my router (sorry make that 5 call today from BT)but what they do not know is my phone is split with Bt and my ISP .
    Not to mention two weeks before that the claiming that the ware from the TPS and in order to verify my account they want the last three digits on the pin number on the back of my card.
    And two weeks before that they were claiming that they were Microsoft( it's true I was born in the night was last night)

But there is salvation BT do a free service called call protect this is for BT customers only
    please be aware scammers are active

http://www.productsandservices.bt.c...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPjozd-f6tECFUKO7QodhPoK5g

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I get loads of these, with either of the below, I have caller ID so its obvious when they ring

Me (before they can speak) "I've buried the body now what"

They usually hang up

Or

Random person "hello im calling from Microsoft"

Me "riiiiiight"

Random person "Yes your IP has notified us your computer has a virus"

Me "Oh, can you confirm the actual IP as I have multiple devices"

Random person "No sir your Windows computer"

Me "Yes but which IP address are we talking about?"

I keep that going then tell them I only have Macs. They usually get confused when I cant right click anything.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

ROFL :lol:

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My enduring fave goes as follows:-

Scammer: "Scam, scam, scammity scam?"

Me: "I'm terribly sorry old chap, but I'm afraid I don't speak a word of English. Good day to you!"* <hangs up>

* = My best 1930's BBC accent. Think Mr Cholmondley-Warner

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm going to use that one.

Even if you don't have caller ID (or they're using a legit UK number) you can still often tell when it's crap, as you'll usually get the "silent call".

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I had a scammer claiming he was from Talktalk (probably got my details from their massive data leak). Indian accent.

Thing is, my internet can be a little unreliable, and he said they were experiencing trouble in the area. However, when he asked if the lights on my router were blinking (they were, like they always do on routers) and I said yes, he said there was a problem and I needed to go on my computer. Yeah, hung up after that.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I usually say something along the lines of "can you wait just a moment, I have something on the stove?", then I leave the phone on the shelf and check back in ten minutes. ;)

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That's a good one.

I ask them about their underwear. I've found that Indian men get very upset if you make them question their sexuality.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2017
  9. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I just run freePBX and make heavy use of incoming route wildcards to send potentially unwanted calls to voicemail. The scammers (and local business telemarketers) that are any good use/spoof a local area code, but it's easy enough to blacklist those individually at the voip provider level.

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Oh where to begin!?
    If they ask for you by name you can pretend to be a relative and say that you've died, pull out some tears etc.

Or you can pretend to be a kidnapper and demand large sums of money or you'll start posting fingers.

You can play along with them until your able to blast some music down the line, metal works well, great southern trendkill or suicide note pt2 by pattern work well as they're instant primal rage.

Or the classic beavis and butthead flushing the toilet.

11. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I would hope everyone on here is equipped enough to deal with these calls.

I work in IT retail and have seen everything with these calls. People that have had loans taken in their name, amounts taken from around £80 to £4000

They target the fragile people that are scared of the computer as it is and they win, it is only getting worse.

12. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I usually get them very confused when I fail to find the windows key. "No sir there is no key with for boxes on it. I do have the Swedish point of interest key does that help?"

13. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Out of interest I went through the whole "this is Microsoft calling" thing once. Got the feeling the person at the other end of the line was following a script and maybe didn't fully understand the nature of the operation. I guess maybe they pass you on to someone else or run an automated script to do whatever dastardly deed they plan for your system.

I always figured having the noise you get when you call a fax machine ready to play down the line could be effective. If they have a dead line list it could potentially put you on it.

I tend to just go with repeating "Sorry, I don't give out unsolicited information over the phone" though. It's more effective than "I'm not interested" as they struggle more to find a "well you would be interested if you knew this" angle.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

"Hold on just a second" put phone down and go do something unrelated:D

15. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I once left the phone by the speaker as they played an Adolf Hitler speech from you tube. 5 mins later still there :D

Another on I just said could you just hold on for a moment and then shouted 'Thank You detective' ... click

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sadly, loudness doesn't work, because line compression. :sigh:

17. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Here is a good one if they ask for you by name......"I am sorry they are outside playing with there friends I am there Mom/Dad.....can I take a message?????" they usually hang up!!!:clap::lol::thumb:

18. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

I will just leave this here...
    419eater

19. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

.....Unless it's the local police :thumb:

20. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Ummmm yeah.....:duh: