Other Handbreak MKV to MP4 help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jehla, 1 Jan 2012.

1. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Hi everybody.

Could someone suggest the best settings to use on handbrake to convert a full HD (1080) MKV to a mp4 for streaming via Dlan to a PS3?

I've tried converting using the "high profile" preset, however the ps3 won't acknowledge it's existence. I want to maintain the highest level of quality where possible.

Cheers

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Apple TV 2 profile should work fine - it'll reduce it to 720p which will still look awesome on the PS3. MKV to Mp4 conversions work fine for me in HandBrake.

A "hand break" is an injury ;)

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You might give mkvtomp4 a shot first, it just does a quick container swap and mixes down the audio to aac 2.0 for better compatibility. Best thing is it only takes a few minutes.

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Handbrake sometimes has issues converting MKV to MP4. It sometimes renders files unplayable, even if others in a batch work fine. I'd look elsewhere first, like Lysol said.

5. IvanIvanovich

I've noticed handbrake does this too, which was one of the reasons I looked for another solution. If you make sure the bitrate is the same, it is less of a problem in handbrake, but that is no help if you are trying to make it smaller to use for a portable.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.freemake.com/

Unless you want to do something specifically funky with Handbrake, Freemake is farrrr better.

Zener Diode likes this.
  7. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

^That looks like a nice piece of software, thanks :thumb:

8. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

+1 for Freemake

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Also +1 for Freemake, should have mentioned that in my last post lol

10. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I'm converting using Freemake now, cheers.

Update: That's working perfectly now! the only major difference I could see int he two files was the freemake file had 6 audio channels and a high of 1080 while handbreaks version was 800 high and only had two channels.

Now I just need to work out why play back is jerky on itunes/quick play but fine on VLC, WMP and itunes on a mac with inferior hardware.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2012
  11. IvanIvanovich

I'm giving freemake a try, but what preset do you people use for mp4? I have tried a few, and they all keep doing odd things, like trying to upsample even when I choose same quality, and files a 2x size of original avi.
    If I select limit size and put to about same size as original it looks super terrible, and unwatchable.
    It is a lot faster than handbrake, but so far I am otherwise very unimpressed.

12. dubsjw

dubsjw What's a Dremel?

I used to use Handbrake for encoding files but then I switched to RipBot....it seems to be a little more stable and the code is a little more streamlined and doesn't take as long to encode. Might be worth checking out!