1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Help with getting to learn ArmA2....?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 27 Jun 2012.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So im waiting till the immanent steam sale till i buy ArmA:OA so i can play DayZ and i have had ArmA2 the original from the day it was released but not really played it that much.
    Or if the problems i hear in the new patch for DayZ sorted soon ill just get it for £9 from GamesRocket

I go online and no one seems to know what there doing and just run around like headless chickens getting killed as soon as they get withing viewing distance of the enemy.

Anyone up for going on TS or something and showing me the ropes, feel a little lost and not much of an idea of what im doing.

Thanks in advance.

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I would say play the campaign first a little. It will get you in the swing od how the engine plays out, and what they keys/controls are.

Im still learning myself and with the keys and controls as confusing as they are i dont think theres much way round it other than playing it to learn!

3. mecha.

mecha. Newbie

I bought Arma Combined Ops the other day, for the sole purpose of playing DayZ, and for a newbie, it was pretty damn hard getting to know all the controls. However after about 2-3 hours of messing about, getting chased by zombies and looting every can of beans i could get my filthy hands on, i was surprised how quickly i had learnt all the basic stuff.
    So, i would just recommend diving head first into the deep end and experiment with the keyboard.....not in that way though :)

Good Luck and try to keep your brains away from those undead buggers!

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I have a basic level of Army training (silhouetting, blending in, formations, OP's ect ect) from spending years in the Army Cadets when i was in my early/mid teens so i can implement that in some way when i get use to how the game works.

Last edited: 27 Jun 2012
  6. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

My favourite game. That guide linked above looks good. My advice is this:

1) Do the training stuff and get used to the keys, and set up your graphics options so it doesnt make smoke come out of your PC :p Bear in mind that the movement doesn't need to feel as slick and instant as Battlefield / Call of Duty / Whatever FPS. Twitchy shooting is not all that common, and most of the time you will be shooting people at very long distances. So as long as you aren't fighting with the controls, you should be fine and you will get used to it pretty quickly.

2) Skip the campaign entirely because its pretty horrible and buggy and so much complex AI happening causes even the best computer to grind to a halt - especially after the 3rd mission. Instead, have a go at some of the single player scenarios, because they are quite solid. Start on easy difficulty and work your way up as you get better at it.

3) Dont be put off by how much you die and how much you generally suck at first. Unless you were really in the army or something, it will likely take some getting used to. It's very realistic and you have to erase your instincts to run around and kill everyone like you do in other shooters. Killing people is actually a secondary objective, your primary objective is to stay alive. A big way to help with this is to get used to hiding behind objects. If there is a wall or a tree or a burned out car or anything solid nearby, you should get behind it and lean out to take shots at bad guys. Also you need to get quick at using the crouch key, and the prone key. Even when hiding behind a wall or something, it's best being crouched so you can lean out at waist height and a sniper cant just take your head off over the top. And if you are out in the open, then you really should get in to prone (laying on the ground) when the bullets start flying. Not only will you be harder to spot because you are lying in grass, but your aim will be far better.

4) Load up the multiplayer and try some of the very different game modes. My suggestion is to click filters and have it only show CTI servers. CTI is Capture The Island and it's my favourite game mode. There are better modes if you just want a quick game, but if you have some time, then CTI is amazing. It's basically your team vs the enemy team and you have an entire map to play on which is huge. You start with a bit of cash, and you earn cash each minute, and that increases as you capture towns. You win by capturing all the towns, or blowing up the enemy base. There is a commander on each team and they can relocate the base etc. At first you can only afford to pick a nice rifle, maybe an anti tank weapon too like an RPG or whatever, and then usually you have some money left over to buy either a few AI guys to join you in a squad, or and/or a vehicle to get you about. Then open your map with M and double click a town, and follow the waypoint, and then you need to assault a town. And it's easier said than done. There can be maybe 50 AI bad guys in the town and they have good aim. If there are tanks its maybe best to find another town. Otherwise, get a good position and try to take the town. If you die, head back and keep trying. But this will teach you how to fight people at range. It takes a lot of practice, but practice makes perfect.

4) Maybe fool around a bit with the editor and the Armory. Eventually you wanna be able to jump in any vehicle and drive it well, and maybe have some fun in aircraft too. Also you need to eventually learn to control your squad. Even in multiplayer if you are playing with real people, you sometimes have AI to join you. At the least you need to get used to telling them to stay here, go there, come back. But eventually you can learn more advanced controls, useful ones like Find Cover, and scan horizon, look in this direction etc..

Enjoy :) Such an amazing game.

7. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Campaign. Get stuck into it. It will help you learn how the game works and the controls. Then I would find a good server that has a team speak and some nice people in it.

RockPaperShotgun is where I play all my ARMA. All the guys there are nice. Bit-Tech seems to have a fairly large following of ARMA but don't think many of us play together... I might be wrong. But that's the impression I get.

I have been MIA with DayZ, Bf3 and Shogun 2 recently but ill get the bug soon enough to return. Wouldn't go head first into a game of ARMA online. I suggest campaign.

Bill

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

scenarios and boot camp, then setup a coop with easy AI, then medium.....

9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

I want to play with IRL people as a team... i find the AI very annoying and stupid. (well suited already for the zombies in DayZ)
    Iv done all the boot camp stuff and some of the single player.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Join an ARMA 2 clan.

The clan I'm in was primarily Battlefield based and other misc. games. But the DayZ hit and we adopted a whole nother clan when one of our members invited a DayZer to join our TS. He invited more.... and now we have more Arma2/dayz pubbers/members than regular Battlefield members. Anyways, join a clan, ARMA becomes a lot more fun with comms

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I started out playing with a clan but they split up (without telling me, it was all a bit weird), I'd definitely recommend it

12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

did you fart?

13. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I havent played Dayz but that stuff is a bit complex for noobies, thats more for the hardcore realism clans.

The controls for arma are a bit weird at first, but yea bootcamp, mess about making missions in the mission editor (just easy ones ofc) and yea the first few in the campaign should help with the conrtorls.

If he just wants to play day-z he dosent need a complex guide on AI commands and the like.

14. ev1lm1nd666

ev1lm1nd666 What's a Dremel?

Get yourself in an Arma 2 squad, I'm a member of Silent Warriors (www.silentwarriors.org.uk) we've got public free servers and member/mission servers running A.C.E. etc. Friendly bunch willing to help, If you see a guy called "Unbridled_Hate" say hi, it's me lol

15. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I cant join ur servers with my mods :(

16. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

Get a thing called "Arma2 Launcher". It locates all your mods and you can just tick a box to enable and disable them, and then it launches the game for you. Personally I only play with no mods because I like it like that, but I have been experimenting recently and I never would have bothered if it wasn't for the launcher helping me out.