1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding GTX 280 EK backplate mod (make it fit any GTX 280)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Combatus, 27 Sep 2009.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I have a water cooled GTX 280 that came with a Watercool Heatkiller GPU-X² block. Downside is it didn't come with ANY cooling to the RAM chips on the top of the pcb (ones on the core side are cooled by the waterblock).

They get damn hot so I first tried some ramsinks but they too got red hot after a good gaming session.

[​IMG]

I then tried some longer ramsinks I had spare to increase the surface area but these too got a little too hot for my liking. Just goes to show how hot these chips get.

[​IMG]

I searched high and low for something larger but couldn't find anything then I remembered that EK Waterblocks do a backplate for the GTX 280 which should work a treat as it's massive. Downside is that it's only compatible with EK blocks. Well, not after a bit of modding it's not!!!

[​IMG]

I started by drilling out the screw holes, all of them, to make sure nothing fouled any of the existing mounting screws from my Watercool block on this side of the PCB. Thankfully the plate is made of aluminium so this took less than 20mins. I was left with a nice flate plate of aluminium that should sit straight onto the RAM chips on the back of the card.

[​IMG]

I'll be using thermal adhesive to attach it so I don't want to not be able to access the block's screws in future so I made sure these were easily accessible. This stuff gives a pretty strong hold and is better than most thermal pads I've used. It's not stuck on for ever though, you can prise things off if needbe but measure twice, stick once that's for sure!

[​IMG]

Next up was to test fit then apply the thermal adhesive to the RAM chips.

[​IMG]

All done! It's worked a treat and when gaming it gets pretty warm but at least it's doing it's job! Seeing how well the thermal adhesive worked I was tempted to try puting motherboard mosfet coolers across the banks of RAM chips but we'll see how this goes first!

[​IMG]

Definitely worth doing if your GTX 280's RAM chips are exposed and cooking themselves. :rock:

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

it always surprised me that they didn't include them tbh.

I have been looking all over for a waterblock for my GTX280 for a decent price with no luck, getting annoying now!

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's been a while since I've seen the staff modding. It's good to see one of you still at it.

4. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Very nice, now paint the insides of the holes black.
    Good tutorial.

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Hell yeah!

I may be lazy and not bother as the plate faces the bottom of my case (Lian Li with inverted MB tray) :D I feel bad now.