1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: i-spider |stacker mod | 11-4: up and running (again)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by _ferry_, 19 Aug 2004.

1. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Welcome to my new project log after i finished chemical overdose.
    This time i wont build a case from scratch but buy one and make some nice mod's on it.

The theme of it will be an robot-looking spider, with spider web's and things like that witch fit in the style.

I guess about 50% of the time will be spend on the spider himself witch will be made from aluminium sheet and lots of parts i found at home or at my work.
    He should look like he can realy work, like insert a battery and he would start running in his web :D
    I have some old and new cutting blades for wood and metal, and a friend of my will search for some more, i hope to use them as a kind of body shield. The spider himself will be in the middle of the "window" witch will more look like his web.

As you might know my normal workstation, chemical overdose, is in the showroom now. And a epia is'nt fast enough to work easyly with sketchup, so i did some handpainting.

[​IMG]
    At the left side you see a small drawning of the spider. At the right side how he will be mounted on the case, note his legs, witch pushed thereself trough the sidepanel

[​IMG]
    At the top you see the right side of the case, most times they stay clear of modding, i will ad a sandblasted logo in glass beyond a metal spider web.
    Below you see a exploded view of a leg, like i said before the should look like a real robot, so inside the legs there will be all kinds of cable and pneumatic tube and other stuff. Offcourse there will be 8 of them :D

well, this is all i have ATM :eyebrow: I wish i had more to show, but i couldn't wait starting a project log. I even don't know when you will see my next update, i think within 2 or 3 weeks, when i have all the hardware, case and parts.

updates:
    31-08
    06-09
    12-09
    24-10
    12-12
    6-1
    9-1
    1-2
    14-2
    21-2
    2-3
    5-3
    17-3
    23-3
    30-3
    11-4
    13-4
    19-4
    4-5
    12-5
    26-5
    16-6
    29-6
    3-7
    11-7
    14-7
    18-7
    27-7
    30-7
    7-8
    16-8
    5-9
    29-3
    3-4
    11-4

Last edited: 11 Apr 2006
  2. drinn

drinn What's a Dremel?

Good luck :)
    That looks interesting..

3. kitt

kitt Michael Knight

yeh gud luck,

il be keeping an eye out for updates!!! :eeek:

4. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Moved to modding in accordance with the rules for project logs - plans/concepts/ideas belong in modding. :)

When you have done some modding work let an admin or moderator know and we will move it back to project logs.

:dremel:

5. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

tnks,
    Did i put it into modding or was this topic moved to modding? I tought i did it into project logs, where i tought he should be :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
    Oh, just to late. sorry about that.

6. Zwieke

Zwieke What's a Dremel?

Hey Ferry :p

I see you plan on using a CM centurion... GO FOR IT! great case!
    I loved the chemical overdose, so i expect another great mod from you.

Veel succes en plezier ermee!

7. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Thank you.
    My 2nd choice was a casetek bigtower, but he seems heavy, and chemical overdose is heavy too, so a lightweight case should be nice :D Today i have been bondo'ing and sanding to make something witch should be the spider's head. I think it wo'nt be 100% robot style, but a bit more to a cyborg, some "living" pieces and some metal parts. Like mashie's y2k bug.

Now i only need some bondo stuff. I know there are many diffirent brands and for many diffirent jobs, i'm looking for bondo witch is used here:
    [​IMG]
    I think it's made from 2 components? (grey and white) The stuff i use ATM is made for filling small holes, so it could be difficult to use at bigger parts.

I will search for it at the local store, i need some alu sheet to :D
    Anyway, if my mom has'nt took the digicam with her on holyday, i could give you some pictures of his head.

8. JadedMonk

JadedMonk What's a Dremel?

That is milliput, not bondo. Bondo is a reddish paste when mixed, and while it also has two components one is the foul smelling grey sludge and the other is the deep red catalyst. They are definetly not used in a 1:1 ratio. Milliput can be found at you local hobby shop and many places online if you aren't in a hurry. You could try any one of the hundreds of epoxy putties at the hardware store with similiar results.

JM

9. RepLiKa

RepLiKa What's a Dremel?

umm all i can say is GOOD ****IN LUCK!! lol :dremel:

10. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

first update

Well i did some modding the past few day's but my mom took te digicam with her on hollyday

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Here you see the first pics of the spider his head, offcourse he needs eyes, and some finishing touch with sandpaper before painting him. On the top of his head i bondo'ed a small print with an IC on it and traces around it, to make it more cyborg looking.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    This is the fanguard at the front, made from a piece 0.8mm aluminium sheet. Took much dremel and sanding time, but the result is great IMHO, the 'wires" are sanded a bit rounded.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The normal fanguard is'nt so heigh, so i took the dremel, and removed some plastic to make the new one fit beyond the front panel

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And the result so far, maybe i will spray the normall grill black, to make the spider web better visible. You see i bondo'ed those auwfull front conectors. How i will solve that you will see one of the next updates

( I've allready PM'ed G-nome for a move to project logs)

Last edited: 31 Aug 2004
  11. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Moved to Project Logs :)

Nice work so far, keep it coming! :dremel:

12. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

oooooooo sounds like a good project to follow *consider me subscirbed*

13. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

Looks really nice. I look forward to seeing what you can do with that spider idea. :)

14. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

Well call me subscribed, based on your last work and your start this should be good.

Sounds like you are changing your design, will you still be doing the mech type leggs? I am looking forward to more metal fabrication. :dremel:

15. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Thanks, all will be still in the mechanical design, but just with some skin added. Like the body of the spider will exist of skin, where the metal pieces grow out like nails. Metal parts like the metal legs, saws and pieces of rotating disk's (for the sharp and dangerous look of it). So it should be realy a cyborg mix from metal and "living" parts. I hope to give you an better idea when i finished the head.
    Tommorow i'm gonna search for some kind of milliput here in holland. And get some other modding stuff like paint, more bondo, search some old rotating disc's and a sheet of aluminium.

16. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

update

Jeeej, updated again :)
    [​IMG]
    This is the top of the case, on the left side iv'e done some polishing, it's hardly visible, but together with the polished sidepanels it has a lot bling bling :p

[​IMG]
    The eyes, made of 2 pieces of plexiglass. Later they will be lightened so the small lines will glow up.

[​IMG]
    Milliput. I've never used it before, but i must say it works great :rock:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And the result, kind of strange but after some painting i guess the head should look much better.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    And the result of the hidden front connectors, a piece of plexi and a piece of brushed alu. The plexi will light up, so i'm thinking of cutting out a text out of the alu, but i don't know what.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    And i painted the case, you can also see 2 silver colored pieces, those are used at the front panel. But the are not exactly on the same size, so i took my dremel, and cut about 2mm off, to make them fit exactly. And after that gave them some new silver paint.

17. tumz

tumz What's a Dremel?

Dont forget that spiders have 8 eyes :eeek: :eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

18. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

i know, but cyborg spiders hasn't ;)
    does anyone have ideas what i could cut out (tex or logo) from the alu piece at the front?

19. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

update

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Because the silver paint wont dry on the plastic cover (still don't know why) i decided to make myself 1 of alu. So i cut out a piece, made it the right size, brushed it, and glued it on the modified plastic one. You see a small gap between the front and the cover, because it wasn't mounted over there already with screws.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    As you might guessed this will be the back of the spider, today i started with painting it, and i must say it's going to look great :)

Well that's it for now, hope to post a new update soon, for now questions and comments are welcome :)

20. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

mmm the back of the spider looks absoluty great, can't wait to see more