1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling First time water cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stonedsurd, 7 Apr 2009.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I've decided to go with a watercooled rig for my summer mod (which is actually a summer/winter 2-stage mod :p)
    Thing is, it'll be my first time watercooling :blush:
    I've decided to go with an external 360mm rad, custom res, and CPU-only loop for the summer bit, with a second loop for the GPU to be added in winter.

Now the bit I need help with: What radiator will handle an E8400 at 3.6Ghz 24/7? I hear good things about the Thermochill PA123.3 but are they worth the massive premium over, say, the Swiftech MCR320?
    Then, the CPU block. I have my eye on the Apogee GTZ for no other reason than it looks pretty neat. Is this a good block if I'm looking to keep the cost under $75? Again, I see Heatkiller blocks commanding a far higher premium for nothing other (apparently) than looks. Any particular recommendations?
    And lastly, what pump/tubing (dia) is recommended?
    The Laing D5 seems to be the de facto choice for most, but it's really the ID/OD of the tubing that has me stumped. Assuming this gets sorted, what and how many of each type of fittings will I be looking at?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the n00biness :worried:

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For the rad, a 2*120mm should suffice, even with the CPU and a GPU, 3*120mm is only if you're really bothered about temps.

For the pump, either a D5 or a DDC would be pretty much the best choices. I prefer a DDC, but that's just for me. :)

I think all of the Apogee blocks have decent performance - have a look around for a watercooling block roundup. It's hard to keep track of all the blocks (and their various revisions) we see.

WC'ing is a pretty easy prospect, as long as you plan out your loop and take it slow. A bit of care and you can soon construct a high-performance loop which will work for months at a time with no need for maintenance. :thumb:

mvagusta and stonedsurd like this.
  3. stonedsurd

Thanks Krikkit. I'm going with a 360 and 240 for the sake of it, not really for temps. They sort of fit with the mod I have planned.

Could you point me to a link for the waterblock roundup?

4. Zeel

Zeel What's a Dremel?

Checkout the Watercool Heatkiller rev 3.0, that's what I'm aiming for. Best 775 cooler and it looks hot too!

5. stonedsurd

Damn, I thought it'd be expensive but the LT looks sweet. Thanks Zeel!
    But any idea where I can get it in the US? Google redirects me to UK/EU sites all the time :/

Any advice on tubing/fittings?

6. stonedsurd

Ok, if I go with this tubing, what fittings would I be looking at?
    I'd like to use compression fittings as far as possible.
    Thanks again.

7. haakon.t

haakon.t :)

I'm no expert on watercooling, but I recon that since the tubes you're linking to are 1/2" ID, your fittings will have to be 1/2" OD. Don't quote me on it though :worried:

EDIT: Since ID stands for Inside Diameter, and OD stands for Outside Diameter.

8. stonedsurd

Thanks for the reply. I'm still pretty lost :blush:

I've read that 3/8" ID is the de facto standard now?
    Could ANYONE please just simply suggest tubing and decent compression fittings to go with it?
    I feel so helpless having everything planned out but unable to do anything :p

9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I've made a couple of extra posts in Zeel's similar thread that you may find helpful - It should answer some of your questions. :)
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=166573
    Haakon.t is correct, also.

If you want to keep things as simple as possible:

3/8" ClearFlex tubing, EK High-Flow 3/8" barbs, wormdrive clamps - Job done.

But really, the only quick-fixes and shortcuts in Watercooling lead to disappointing results in the best case or leaks and component-damage in the worst.
    We can suggest various combinations of tubing & fittings but it's better to research the topic until you have a good idea of what to choose for yourself, and then learn by doing.
    Do your research and you'll do the job right! :)

mvagusta likes this.
  10. stonedsurd

Thanks Z (I hope you don't mind me abbreviating it :p)

Your posts started another MASSIVE research project and this is what I think I will end up with:

Heatkiller CPU block (Looks amazing, performs, and the all-metal is out of stock)

Tygon 3/8" ID tubing + Bitspower or Koolance fittings (depending on what/where I can source)

Swiftech MCR220 radiator (most of the rads seem to perform within fractions of each other, and I've seen these featured on enough builds here to be reassuring)

Fans will be these Xigmatek jobbies. Should be enough, I reckon.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks, everyone who helped out! :clap:

11. haakon.t

haakon.t :)

You don't have a pump yet. As said before in the thread, Laing D5 and Laing DDC seems like good choices. Probably won't matter that much which you choose :)

stonedsurd likes this.
  12. Krikkit

DDC is probably the best choice for 3/8" tubing, good pressure characteristics compared to the D5. :)

13. Zeel

Zeel What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't the D5 have be a better fit due to the higher flow rate? Or is the 3/8" tubing so restrictive?

14. Krikkit

Two sides of the same coin really - it depends on the restriction of the CPU block, but a DDC would allow for restricting GPU/NB blocks without killing flow rates. 3/8" tubing isn't particularily restrictive tbh.

15. stonedsurd

THanks. I'm thinking about the DDC with the Acetal top from PTS (link)
    no. But I'm pretty much sold on Heatkiller. :p
    *confused* :confused:
    Would the DDC allow for a particularly long loop? I'm going to be adding a GPU block (non full-cover) and a 120x3 rad to this in the future.

16. Krikkit

The DDC with an Acetal top is a great pump, and should deal with an extended loop without trouble tbh. :)

To be honest either pump will work fine for nearly every loop you can throw at it, the differences are so minute, it's similar to the differences in radiators for most loops.

17. stonedsurd

Great, thanks!
    It seems to be discontinued at PTS, so any idea where else it can be had?
    Google is unhelpful :(

18. Krikkit

Specialtech do a good range of pumps and stuff. Excellent shipping and handling too - always brilliantly well packaged and sent really quickly.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

You could kill three birds with one stone and combine your res, pump top and pump by using an XSPC Res-Top

You could also buy a kit, and then e-mail Marcus or Rob at WatercoolingUK and swap the CPU block for the heatkiller. This sort of kit would surfice...

EDIT - Oh.. Your in the US... Ooops.

20. stonedsurd

Yep. Both are UK links :p:lol:

Anyone know where I can get teh stuff in the US?