1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kepler or FERMI for folding?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by debs3759, 23 Nov 2012.

1. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

The GTX 580 DCII I got in placec of my GTX 670 for folding has died, so I need to buy a new card. Does anyone know if Kepler is properly supported now? When I had a Kepler card, it folded slower than Fermi, although it has double the theoretical maximum procecssing power. As I need to buy a new card tonight (and will only buy new this time - I suspect the 580 DCII had been benched ub#nder LN2) I am looking for whatever info I can get :)

I have also asksed in the f olding forums, and will post here if I get a definitive reply.

2. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

id go for a kelper card just because it will be far faster at folding when it is supported...

as far as i know the WU's for kelper cards for in beta testing

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

At the moment, Fermi gives far better bang/buck. BUT. Kepler will likely lead the way once it is supported.

4. debs3759

Thanks guys. I just bought an EVGA 680 SC Signature, should be here on Monday. Fortunately, my ppd indicates the system is still folding on the CPU :)

5. debs3759

The new card arrived this morning and is folding. I look forward to when it properly supports Kepler - at the moment it's only generating roughly the same points as my GTX 570! At least my average ppd isn't going to drop farther :)

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Kepler will be faster eventually whenever that maybe.

Fermi is faster at the moment.

7. debs3759

I guess that's why they cost roughly the same, because of the change in architecture not being adopted yet by software developers (at least, as far as Kepler goes). Aat least it runs cooler and has a 3 year warranty :)