1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Repairable?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by 51lver, 26 Aug 2010.

1. 51lver

51lver Forever Hungry

Wife Laptop graphic has gone.

[​IMG]

This what it looks on the BIOS screen.

Is it repairable or better off getting new laptop? Laptop is over 3 years old brought from new.

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Is it the screen or the GPU that has gone? Is it the same if you plug it into an external monitor?

I am assuming you have checked for a loose ribbon cable between motherboard and screen? I had a problem with an old laptop where the ribbon cable came loose and wiggling the screen backwards and forwards would "fix" it temporarily. I ended up taking it apart and reseating the cable.

If it is the screen, you might be able to pick up a replacement seeing as it is a Sony, it would just depend on how much basically. However, if it is the on-board GPU, I don't think you can replace them so wouldn't be worth it.

3. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

When did you clean it last time?

I also live in London and the amount of dust (compare to other places), I can sweep every few months from my comp, is unbelievable. There is still a possibility the cooling system is covered by dust which cause overheating GPU.

4. 51lver

51lver Forever Hungry

Never mind, it fixed. I think

Reapplied new thermal paste on the GPU, CPU etc. Boot it and screen was still funny this morning, now it fine.??!!

5. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Lose connection of some sort maybe also?