1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Networking issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by 7hr08ik, 7 Jan 2012.

1. 7hr08ik

7hr08ik Kill all Humans!

Hey guys,

Hope you can help me out coz im totally stumped!!!

I am running Windows 7
    i5 2500k
    8Gb Corsair
    Asus Maximus Extreme-z
    GTX 275
    Crucial M4 64Gb SSD

My problem was just for Borderlands but now its all LAN gaming in general.

Firstly i am trying to play Borderlands and Saints Row - The Third over my LAN.

When trying Saints Row the game finds nothing. So i tested Borderlands and still nothing. But borderlands wont even connect to the gamespy online. I get and error telling me gamespy is unavailable or no network. But i have network, and im currently using it :)
    The homegroup is working perfectly (yeah i know WOW!) and i can find all the coputers in the network settings. I can access files etc.

Borderlands will work if i play it on my laptop, it will connect to my flat mates PC and we can LAN. But thats crap, i wanna play in full HD on my i5.

Here a list of everything i have tried:

-Its not the need for port forwarding, been tried
    -Its not the router settings in any way. Because it works from my laptop to my flat mates PC.
    -its not my kaspersky, as i tried turning it off
    -Its not the Windows firewall, coz i turned it off too.
    -its not Windows, because i am running a fresh install (as of yesterday)
    -Its not the Borderlands install as its fresh.
    -Its not the borderlands config files or saves that are in My Documents folder. Have deleted them.
    -its not drivers, because they are all upto date.
    -its not my network connection as my laptop can access the homegroup
    -Its not the network connector, as i have tried both sockets

The only thing left is the network connector settings. The maximus has 2 Intel Gigabit Network Connectors, which have an extended options/properties. But i really do not know what the hell i need to do.

Borderlands used to work on my old q6600 rig, running from Biostar T-power i45. I think it used marvell yukon networking. But not sure. Anyway aslong as we could see each other in the homegroup, then borderlands would work, so would any LAN game. The only thing thats change from then to now is the new mobo/cpu/ram true fresh install of win7 but was win7 back then.

So after all this my conclusion is that intel networking is horrid. I knwo ive tried everything that i can think of. Please help, there must be something that i can do

2. Briaireous

Briaireous What's a Dremel?

Looks like you got a tough one there... how are you checking the drivers are updated? Using manufacturers site or windows update?

3. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Bit of a long shot - but if you are using intel network adapters, get the drivers off the intel website, and dont install the driver from windows update. for some reason, that driver isnt very good. At least, for some softwares I have on some client sites, if I use the intel network driver from windows update, the software no longer works, it only works if I use the drivers from the intel site.

Have you turned on upnp on your router? Do you have any switches or anything on yournetwork that potentially dont support upnp traffic?

"intel" networking is the same as any other networking, and its not horrid, we just havent theorised enough yet to get it fixed :)

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Easily the best post I have ever read.