1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs My Experience With Jailbreaking So Far

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cutter McJ1b, 1 Feb 2010.

1. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

2. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

One major problem I have noticed on both my 3G and 3GS is that jailborken phones are far less stable and much more prone to the broken keyboard problem

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

very interesting the Bit have put this on their home page what are the moral / legal issues around jailbreaking as i bought an android specifically because it was a more open platform

4. Xir

Xir Modder

...are you sure it ALWAYS asks you before sending?

(just my Windows-paranoia talking here)

Xir

5. Cutter McJ1b

I jailbroke my new iPhone 3GS. It was the first time I'd plugged it in to my new PC. I got asked about Apps genius once, said no. I also turned off autosync. No problems at all so far.

6. Cutter McJ1b

Can't say I've had any issues with my keyboard...

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Err read paragraphs 7, 8, 9 and 10 :rolleyes:

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

So you have to "hack" a Iphone in order to be able to transfer files with drag and drop? lulz...

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

SBsetttings: i can't imagine ANYONE without it!

i won't recommend blackrain. it is jailbreak by fiddling with files through USB, with chances of messing up. use PwnageTool to create your own firmware, then use Apple's iTunes to write to the iPhone, nothing can go wrong :)

Last edited: 1 Feb 2010
  10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

how the **** did i miss that

11. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Don't worry, it is a Monday ;)

12. DeMoB

DeMoB All of my Dremel wheels are broke!

That's not really true now is it.

If you're stuck with a tethered jailbreak with blackra1n, you'll still be stuck with a tethered jailbreak with pwnage tool too. It's not down to the program you use to jailbreak, but rather if you've got an iphone with the new bootrom hardware. Which I think that was any made after oct 09.

As for anyone using the SBSettings with the default theme, do yourself a favour and grab the "Apple Congruency Black" theme for it. Looks as swish as the rest of the OS then. :D

Dan

13. wyx087

sorry, i didn't mean tethered jailbreak, i mean messing with files through USB connection (hence confusion with the word "tether") creating an IPSW file and flashing the phone is as clean jailbreak as you can get.

14. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I jailbroke my work iPhone as soon as I got it (and uninstalled itunes as soon as it was activated).
    Still glad I don't have to use one as my daily phone though, without Cydia/Jailbreaking then it would be almost un-customisable.

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm biting! I just need to know a few things...

I'm on o2 with the 3.1.2 phone firmware and 05.11 modem firmware. I don't want to unlock the carrier.

Can I just use redsn0w 0.9.2?

It says it requires a tethered reboot.. is that whenever the phone runs out of juice and reboots when it's got enough charge again? So I'd have to have it connected to a computer rather than the mains-usb adapter? And is that any computer or the one I ran redsn0w on?

Can I still use itunes as normal? I.e. podcasts, purchases, apps?

How do I uninstall it?

What happens if I upgrade to Apple's 3.1.3 firmware? Anything I need to do/make sure of beforehand?

16. Cutter McJ1b

Sadly, I'm unsure about a lot of this stuff as jailbreaking is still very new to me and I don't want to misinform. Perhaps someone else can help?

When I did it, I just plugged in my new iPhone and got stuck in.

17. wyx087

if you upgrade to new firmware, you'll loose jailbreak, so wait until the dev-team have gotten a jailbreak before upgrading.

not sure about redsnow, i always use Pwnaget Tool which creates a custom firmware and there is no need to do a tethered reboot. best source and most reliable source for everything about jailbreaking: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ (personally don't trust any other method of jailbreaking, that includes ZiPhone, blackra1n, redsnow.

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm under the impression that pwnagetool is specifically for mac and that the same team that developed it are those that have released the windows version called redsn0w. Looking at the tut for installing redsn0w, it has (c) iphone dev team on the installer.

I can only find two 'Windows options' on iclarified - either redsn0w or BlackRa1n Link. BlackRa1n looks easier but there could be an issue with wifi suddenly not working (although for some people multiple resets or subjecting the rear of the iphone to freezing temperatures fixes it! - gps and youtube are fixable thru' Push It app) from what I read.

edit - wtf, each of the custom ipsw files I try to d/l are iphone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.zip - extracting the zip gives me 3 .dmg files and all bloody sorts.

ninja edit - ahh, I rename the file from .zip to .ipsw - correct? It's come up with the proper icon, at least!

Last edited: 2 Feb 2010
  19. wyx087

be careful, from the file name, it is for iPhone 3G, not 3GS.

pwnage tool is reliable because it fiddles with the file system on your computer, and then the pre-jailbroken, custom made firmware is flashed to the phone through relatively more reliable itunes.

20. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

I've done it with Pwnage tool on my 3GS and with BlackRa1n on a 3G in order to get them on different carries while abroad. Both phones still work/sync flawlessly with iTunes.

Tags: Add Tags