1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice need to reduce my build price tag

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aurie, 11 Nov 2014.

1. Aurie

Aurie What's a Dremel?

I want to see if I can reduce the cost of my rig, i want it somewhat future proof, but wondering if I'm spening too much say on my Mobo CPU combo... or if my cpu is over-kill (maybe get a non-K version).

Is there any bottle necks here?

So I am getting the following during the black friday rush, so likely to already get further discounts:

For refence, fairly happy with these components:
    • Monitor: DELL ultrasharp 1080p 24 inch (£185)
    • SSD: Samsung 250 Gb (£100)
    • RAM: HyperX 1600Hz 8Gb (£70)
    • PSU: Seasonic 500 W modular (£60)

Just not sure about these, any of the below overkill?
    • GPU: GTX 970 (£250 ish)
    • MOBO: Asus Z97M-Plus Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard (£100)
    • CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.50GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 Processor (£180)

Prices are nominal, I know the best place to buy all these (compared DABS, Aria PC, scan, OCUK, ebuyer, and a few others).

Cheers chaps and chapettes.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Buying a None K seris cpu will cost you in the long run if you ever wanted to sell the chip as it will be worth alot less than a K series chip would.

You could likely get a full ATX board for less cash maybe £10 less, Look out for daily deals on the cpu and gpu is likely your best bet for prices.

Unless your willing to accept a significant drop in performance or go second hand you will struggle to reduce your budget.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

First of all, SSD - why use a Samsung Evo? Crucial MX100s are only £80 and you won't notice the performance difference.

You could save an additional £8 by getting Corsair Vengeance RAM for £62 as well. Then another £10 by getting a Zotac, Palit or Gainward GTX 970 for £250.

You could then pickup a Z97M-D3H instead of the plus, saving you another £25.

Total saving from the above would be £63.

The things you don't want to skimp on are CPU/GPU. I also personally don't think a 1080p panel offers very good value for money at £185, even if it is IPS. I'd probably be looking for second hand 27" models at around the same price.

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

If you are willing to go second hand on MB/CPU/RAM you could save a lot using last or previous gen. the performance difference is quite small and it would bag you a K series for a bit less. Maybe even a ROG board who knows ;)

5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

6. Aurie

Aurie What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your comments!

Forgot to mention I've got a 350D (M-ATX) so need the M-ATX mobo.

Thanks for the SSD suggestion, i'm going to grab the MX100 instead! Great stuff... Got my numbers wrong, I'm actually getting a £60 set of RAM

Not interested in getting anything second hand (especially the monitor), want to ensure there are warrantys in tact, and don't want to risk buying from nrgit only to get loads of dead pixels on my 'new' monitor.

Once again thanks for your comments, saved me at least £20... ta!

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Nrgit monitors aren't realy 2nd hand they are refurbs which in most instances are unused and re-packaged monitors.

8. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Still rocking my dell u2711 from NRG. Was mint.

9. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

NRG are a fantastic business, got all three of my Dell's from them and they were all absolutely immaculate!

and if you mention you're a bit-tech member sometimes they offer a discount :)