1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Sky in second room

Discussion in 'General' started by noizdaemon666, 27 Feb 2015.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Hi guys,

My neighbour has a Sky+ HD box in her living room. She also wants to be able to watch upstairs. What's the easiest and cheapest way of doing this? 2nd Sky box? Or something else?

Cheers

2. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Sky Go and a PC/laptop/chromecast similar might be an option?

Actually, Chromecast and a compatible android phone would offer all the main internet on-demand channels that have apps.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Other than Sky Multi-room or whatever they call it now, can't you get some cheap efforts off ebay that let you control the sky box in the lounge from another room and receive the same signal in there too?

Unless she wants to be able to view one channel in the lounge and a different one in the bedroom - in that case I think she's back to the Sky multi-room thing.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

If you want to be able to change the channel and not necessarily want HD, you can just use coax cable and one of those eye thingy's. I was looking at all options but nothing else allows you to change the channel other than that or a second sky box of course. I believe multi-room is about another £10 a month and an extra £5 for HD but then both rooms can then watch something different.

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I have a LNB with 4 cables coming out into the house. 1 pair goes into the living room and the other pair goes into our daughters bedroom. If my daughter wants to watch sky in her room we just give her the card and she takes it upstairs.

For our bedroom we just use the sky Go app to watch TV. I think asking an £10 for an additional card is a rip off! As long as you have a decent unlimited internet connection I suggest using the Sky Go app.

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

If the need is to be able to watch different programs in different rooms then she will be after Sky multi-room.

Set up cost (engineer visit): £60
    Monthly subscription: £11.25

Second box cost: Free (only for non recordable box), however £199 if you want a Sky+ HD

Or use the Sky Go app - Free but limited to size of the device you play it on.

7. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

I have this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-For-All...e=UTF8&qid=1425027010&sr=1-1&keywords=sv+1730

Which works well for me. Controls the box downstairs and sends the signal upstairs. Quality is SD as it connects using the composite socket but it's fine for the bedroom TV. Use the Sky+ app on your phone to control the box and you can leave your normal remote downstairs.

Obviously though you can't watch different things upstairs and downstairs. If she wants that then multiroom would be the way to go.

8. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Unless said device is an android phone and you cast the screen to a Chromecast plugged into whatever TV/screen you like

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Thanks guys. She's going with something similar to tyepye's kit. She's fine having same on both TVs.

10. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I am using coax to link from lounge to my bed, and I'm using the Sky+ app as a remote control. You just need to get your box on the net either with wifi dongle or cable it to your router.

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Don't you have to hack it to work though?

12. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

We have our Sky signal sent around the house via coax cables from the output of the Sky box. The output will be on an analogue channel. Newer boxes don't have a coax output (a.k.a. RF2?) you can use in this way, but they do come with an IO port that you can get a converter for.
    You can even get "magic eye" infra red receivers in the other room that feed back to the sky box (allowing you to change the channel with a sky remote without having to go the skybox) . However if you send it to more than one room, you will probably need an amplifier (mains powered), otherwise the signal strength goes too low.

Setup would be:
    Dish -> SkyBox ->RF out -> IO converter -> Magic Eye -> Second TV
    or
    Dish -> SkyBox ->RF out -> IO converter -> Amplfier -> Multiple outputs to multiple magic eyes/TV
    (Both setups can still connect the skybox to the main TV via an HDMIcable)

example IO converter: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-Link...F8&qid=1425420812&sr=1-4&keywords=sky+tv+link
    example magic eye: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-Magi...UTF8&qid=1425421096&sr=1-1&keywords=magic+eye
    example amplifier: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professiona...qid=1425421129&sr=1-12&keywords=sky+amplifier

*I just searched those on amazon, I don't own (and therefore cannot recommend) these exact items