1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What CPU for a file/print server?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Shielder, 13 Aug 2013.

1. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Hi all,

I've come for a bit of advice. I'm looking to build a file/print server for my home to service 3-4 PCs/laptops.

It doesn't need powerful graphics, but it will be used as part of the BOINC project and LHC@home.

I'll be using CentOS or SL6, but I'm wondering about what CPU to put in it.

Budget is an issue, and I don't really want to spend more than ~£250 on motherboard, CPU and memory. I'd prefer to have at least 8GB RAM in the system, more for BOINC than anything else.

What would people recommend?

Oh, yes, the storage will be a smallish SSD for the OS and 3x >2TB HDD (in software RAID 5), so 6Gb/s SATA ports for all of this would be an advantage.

Thanks

Andy

2. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Personally id go with an HP microserver for file and print use. It'll come in under budget and use hardly any power. However it won't be amazing for BOINC. You may be better off finding a decent CPU for that - anything should handle file and print services on a small home network with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Celeron G1610, B75 board fitting your requirements, that should fit inside 100€ together, i leave the rest (RAM, CPU cooler, case, PSU) up to you. But with a budget case, an acceptable quality PSU (Corsair CX, Seasonic G-360) you should fit all that inside your £250.

But as RinSewand said, cheap CPU won't be a good idea from performance side for distributed computing.