1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pc starts and stops

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by numanoid, 19 Jul 2016.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Hi guys
    Switched my pc on and just starts and stops over and over untill i turn it off by the psu switch..... I7 4790...8gb crucial tracets...antec 850w nvidia 770, any ideas.... thank you guys

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

So nothing on screen? Any recent hardware changes?

That sort of cycling is often caused by a loose or missing 4/8 pin power connector on the board so that would be the first thing I'd check.

3. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Everything is fine matey, no changes, one day booting up fine next day starting and stopping, i took a video of it but realised you can't upload videos on this site, thanks again matey

4. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Not really aware of UEFI stuff but have you check what the motherboard does if it hits an error (i.e. continue, shut down, or restart)?

Assuming it get that far into the boot sequence, of course.

5. numanoid

numanoid Modder

It never gets that far matey, it starts, the fans light up then it shuts off and keeps repeating the sequence over and over until i turn it off at the mains, so every 3 seconds its on and off, cheers matey

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

If your using an AIO cooler it might suggest the pump has failed and it's overheating - that however wouldn't initially shut down the PC within seconds of it's initial boot.

Does your mobo have a debugger post display showing an error code by any chance??

7. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Do fans spin up and some status LEDs come on (maybe your USB devices light up) and then power off? Or do they all turn on and stay on, but the computer never starts to go past the BIOS screen? I had an issue like that. I RMA'd the PSU and replaced the board, seemed to fix the issue. I did reseat the heatsink to make sure it wasn't a thermal issue as 23RO_UK mentioned, Swapped a different PSU in, removed excess expansion cards, hard drives and optical drives. I also disconnected all the case buttons and headers to make sure it wasn't a short there. I even went so far as to recase the entire computer.

Mine would also manifest itself when warm it'd seem. a cold boot would be great, but a reboot after 30 minutes wouldn't be so great.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Going on the 2-3 seconds on-off thingy it sounds like a short, have you tested outside the case?

9. numanoid

numanoid Modder

All sorted, thank you guys, seems the 8 pin connector had worked loose..thank you noizdaemon666 :thumb::D