1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals What would this even be called???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cthippo, 19 Nov 2016.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

For my new build the peripherals such as the optical drive are built into the desk while the computer itself resides in a cabinet some feet away. Most of the cabling to make this work has been pretty easy to find, but I'm stumped on this one. My SATA drive bay has 2 USB 3.1 ports and they are designed to attach to a header on the motherboard using a 20 or so pin rectangular connector. I need a 6 foot / 2 meter extension cable with a male one of those connectors on one end and a female on the other. What do I even search for on eBay?:confused:

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Instead of an extension cable (which you likely won't find over 50cm long), get a standard USB3 motherboard header to PCI plate cable for the back of your PC like this one from Overclockers, and run a pair of USB3 leads to the drive bay.

[​IMG]

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

You want search for USB 3.1 internal extension Cable. That said at 2 meter, you are at 2/3rds of the maximum length, so make sure you select a manufactured cable, for example, and not a ribbon or loose wire style extension, example. As IanW mentioned you probably won't find a cable long enough but you could always build your own. The site I used for examples images, sells USB 3 wire and connectors. If soldering a cable isn't up you street, I know I won't want to try, then there are several mod websites that might be willing to make the cable for you.

Alternatively I know StarTech sell 2 meter USB 3.0 A male to A female cables.

4. Cthippo

Ah, sweet, I think we have a winner!

One of the places in the Google ads offers a 50 cm one, but says they can make other lengths.

5. Cthippo

So I contacted the place that advertised custom cables and they said "sure, just order 4 50 cm ones and leave a note saying you want it made as one cable". Yeah, except that the 50 cm cables are $20 apiece. I am NOT spending $80 on a USB cable! Not yet sure what the solution is, but it may well look like what IanW posted.

USB 2 cables are 8 pin, aren't they? Any reason I couldn't make them out of Cat5 cable?