1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win7 corruption issues - any way back?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Porkins' Wingman, 24 Nov 2016.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I got into a sloppy habit of just leaving my PC running 24/7 quite a lot recently, cos I use it as a file server.

One night it wasn't responding when I tried to access it remotely. I went to it in the morning to find it waiting to run a disk check or repair after some sort of failure had occurred.

When it finished that it booted to Windows, but threw up a few errors in trying to launch background stuff. Since then things have spiraled as I've taken hasty decisions to try and resolve it.

I tried a system restore point - supposedly corrupted.

I tried to repair Windows using installation disk - couldn't get past the compatibility screening, it would throw up an empty window and freeze.

Getting fed up I made a system image, in preparation to revert to the only other system image I had, from 3 years ago.

As soon as I reverted to my 2013 image, I regretted it, as it was evidently made not long after a Windows install.

So I'm now trying to revert back to the 2016 image but when I do I get an error saying the image is corrupted.

I also (for a reason I can't quite recall) disabled my LAN connection. But whenever I try to reinstate it it pretends it can't find a connection.

I'm not sure if this was all a virus in the first place or what, but I now feel a bit stymied about my prospects of restoring my 2016 image and then repairing things. While I didn't keep many user files on my 2016 image, there were some and I don't want to have to go through the process of working out what there was and what I want back.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It maybe worth running a test on the memory via a USB/CD drive, if things like the Windows installation disk and system images are falling over it maybe caused as data is being tansfered through the RAM and not once it's on the Drive.

3. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Thanks for the suggestion, certainly worth checking. I've run a test (though not from CD, just from within Windows - after restart) and there were no problems.

I've also managed to restore my ethernet connection. I read elsewhere that removing the CMOS battery can help reinitialise the NIC, and it did. I think the page I read that was also talking about the original cause being a power surge, so maybe that is what happened to mine...

So anyways, I'm back on the task of trying to restore a system image I have. Trouble is, on it's an internal HDD, and when Windows tries to run the system image restore function, it doesn't seem to search internal drives, just external ones. I've tried copy/pasting the image to an external usb HDD, but it hasn't gone smoothly so far.