1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia Windows 10 monitor issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 11 Jan 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

OK guys so I will do my best to explain this. My monitor is a HP Envy 32. 32", 1440p. It has three inputs. Two are HDMI and one is Displayport. Over Displayport it is 70hz. Please note, when connected via Displayport I do not get any issues at all. However, because the monitor is Freesync I want to use the DP for the Fury X rig. It's when I run the Nvidia one HDMI that I am getting all of these issues.

OK so let me explain the issue. I managed to figure this out a while back in Windows 7 and fixed it myself and all was well again (this was with a GTX 950 Windows 7 same monitor). The issue was very strange.. OK, so the monitor is rated at 60hz for HDMI. It will not do 70hz over HDMI. I don't care about this, as I can use Adaptive Vsync to keep everything smooth. The problem is the HZ.

OK, so if I go to Nvidia Control Panel and look at my display it says 60HZ. However, if I go to my monitor it says 59HZ.

[​IMG]

So there is a 1HZ discrepancy between the two. Now you would think this would make no difference but it does. If I launch a game with the Nvidia Control Panel running the monitor at 60HZ it black screens. I still get sound, and the game is still running but the PC becomes unresponsive and the only thing I can do is press the power button and wait for it to shut down before booting again. I cannot CTRL ALT DEL or anything else to revive it.

So up to now (in Windows 7 when this happened) I would simply go into the Nvidia Control panel and change the res to a custom res and edit it myself and change the refresh rate to 59HZ to match my monitor. Something like this.

[​IMG]

I then go back to NCP (sorry getting tired of typing that !) and voila, one custom resolution @ 59hz.

[​IMG]

I can now launch any game I wish and not get a black screen and it works perfectly. However, the difference between doing that in Windows 7 and Windows 10 are quite stark it seems. When I exit the game the screen flashes black and then stays that way. Again, all I can do here is press the power button and when I reboot like magic it's ditched my custom res and switched back to the standard 60HZ native one :wallbash:

[​IMG]

Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

V-T - are you doing 1440P over HDMI?

3. Vault-Tec

Yeah. Are there issues then?

4. jinq-sea

I think it's out of spec for HDMI 1.3 - it can't carry that bandwidth if it's that spec. I've had issues in the past too, and bought some new el cheapo amazon hdmi 2.0 spec cables. I've also succeeded with a custom res on fully wired hdmi -> dvi cables a la dual link dvi - it took some tinkering thouhh

5. Vault-Tec

The custom res is working perfectly. Problem is it keeps switching back to the Native one which does not.

It's probably a driver or Windows problem. CBA faffing with it any more now. The cable might be crap though, so I may order something better but yeah, had the same issue with 7 and the fix would take seconds if only Windows 10 worked the same way.

6. jinq-sea

In game? Or just at desktop? I mean it could be a driver problem but when I had issues a cable change worked wonders. Could have been coincidence though haha

7. Vault-Tec

Sorry Sam, missed your reply mate. It was doing it whenever something used the screen. So like games, benchmarks etc. So anything beyond desktop basically.

Last night I decided to fire the rig and try again. Turns out that a combination of new drivers and a Win 10 update fixed it :)