1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Punching holes in material, and then putting an eyelet(?) in it

Discussion in 'General' started by liratheal, 27 Jan 2017.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Okay, the title didn't help much at all.

I've got a little faux-leather pouch.. Thing. That I keep one of my alarm fobs in. The fob itself was designed by a halfwit, and the loop is a perishable rubber piece of nonsense.

This pouch thing is not all that great an alternative, because I can't put it on a key ring and take it with me without losing it. So I thought "I have a leather hole punch, why not put a hole in it?"

But then I figure it'll rip with constant use. So I had a second thought - Eyelets on boots! That'd add some rigidity and keep me happy it'd last longer than ten minutes.

However. The procedure for doing so eludes me.

Anyone got any clues?

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

3. liratheal

You are much better at googling than me!

Cheers for the links!

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Nah, I've have and use the wheel punch for leather and I have and use the regular punches and rivets on canvas.

5. liratheal

Ahh, well, I appreciate the quick response!

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Last edited: 27 Jan 2017
  7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Most hardware stored will sell you a grommeting kit which is good for doing a small project. If you're doing more than about a half dozen, buy a real hollow punch and always make sure you're using 2 piece grommets. The 1 piece ones don't even work well for decoration, much less holding anything.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Too...535149?hash=item41ba3e8aad:g:TyEAAOSwEzxYUOFd

Note that there are two parts to each grommet. You punch the hole with the sharpened hollow tube, put the "male" part of a grommet on the mandrel, place the material over it so that it sticks up through the hole, place the "female" part over the male part and the material, then place the, uh, long round conical thing into the hole on the male part and start hammering. The male part deforms downward, sandwiching the female part and the material together and holding it securely.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2017
  8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Was in wilkinsons today and saw they had a set of eyelet pliers which comes with 100 eyelets, only £5.99, has a hole punch built in too to give you the right size for the eyelets.

linky