1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Dying GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rv88uk, 18 Mar 2017.

1. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

So last night I started getting weird artifacts on my screen whilst gaming (flicking blue horizontal bars) and the display was cutting out intermittently. I was running the PC pretty hard at the time (gaming/encoding w/ handbrake in background +running a few downloads) so cpu was about 100%, memory about 60-70% full but I checked the GPU (MSI 980Ti) and it never went above about 75deg. VRAM was also nowhere near full (it was Deus Ex Mankind Divided so not the most demanding of games...) I did also check and both the GPU fans were running. There doesn't seem to be much dust in my case either so probably not a heat issue.

My first conclusion is a dying or faulty gpu, and the graphics card is only a couple of years old so it should be under warranty, I just thought I'd ask here first and see if there was anything else I could check. I suppose the other obvious canditates would be the monitor or the displayport cable, but for some reason I see those as less likely...

Cheers for any help!

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

With that much running while gaming, it's probably just got choked. Try just gaming and see if it still occurs, or running through unigine heaven or Valley for a few loops. If you still get artifacts it's likely the gpu, if not, you were just trying to push too much through the Cpu at once.

3. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

Thanks - i'll try a few benchmarks and see if it shows up again. I should have mentioned I did try restarting the PC and gaming again with nothing else running and still got the issues, but then it went away for a while if I gave my computer a few minutes break so it's plausibly some kind of load issue...

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Definitely worth trying an alternative cable.

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

That sounds like something's getting too hot.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

It is either CPU / or GPU memory related heat issues.

Most GPU memory is passively cooled by passing Air, If that Air is already a very warm 70c + then those memory modules are going to be screaming.

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yea. If CPU and GPU (core) temps are fine (edit: a little high but technically fine) then it's inedaquate general airflow for the heavy loading. "Not enuff puff".

Check your case fans are working properly.
    If they are, try it again with the side of the case removed (and with a deskfan or anything blowing in to make absolutely sure). If it you can't recreate the problem like this, then you know case ventilation is the problem.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2017
  8. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

thanks all - hopefully it is just a heat issue and no replacements necessary, I've been running my pc under load all day and no artifacts ... will keep monitoring temps to see if it reappears

Cheers!