1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Teyber's Evaps

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Teyber, 15 May 2008.

1. Teyber

Teyber ******

hello!
    First off, before you ask an evap is an evaporator. Think of it like a waterblock, but for phase change. its somewhat similar in internals too.

Have been toying lots of ideas around in my head lately. Came down that the simplest mounting that i had would be the cheapest and the most effective. Prices of mounting used to be unrealistically high until i had a epiphany of simple, due to extremely long machining times on the more complex mountings.Today had some time after my AP test, so i started the mounting. I want to do a small run of 5 evaporators this time, as it saves a lot of time to do a couple at the same time. Ill be posting how everything fits together at the end.

Waiting on a new band saw blade until i do the evaporators, and also waiting on the evaporators done until i cut the insulation donut, but have the donut insulation here.

So ill post what i have so far:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4) 10-32 plastic thumbscrews(may be replaced with smaller ones)
    4) 10-32 machine nuts(may be replaced with black plastic ones)
    4) 1/2" springs (in mail)
    1) 2.5" or so 5/16" copper stub for suction
    1) 1.5" or so 3/16" copper stub for cap tube
    1) Mounting plate
    1) donut insulation, goes around evaporator
    1) snap ring for hold down
    1) small circle of neoprene for between evaporator and top of mounting.

Not sure about motherboard insulation yet. don't' have a good price on anything at the moment.

Will be re-doing backplates in aluminum. I ordered the wrong size plastic for backplates, and only fit lga775, and barely at that.

Will be finalizing design of the evaporator in the coming days.

Hope you like it

regards

2. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

woah man thats alot of plastic and mounting equipment!!!

3. Teyber

Teyber ******

it sure is. spent 6 hours today in sketchup, ill post a couple of the drawings later tonight.

regards

4. Teyber

Teyber ******

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fixed mountings tonight. One got messed up earlier, wouldn't have made a difference but with new design didn't work. so 4 of em now. (didn't have mounting tightened down enough, and it "slid" which made it sort of an elipse)

Hope you like it,

regards

5. Teyber

Teyber ******

finally my copper came in mail! its a impressive hunk of metal... ill post a picture of it soon. So ill let the pics speak for themselves
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cacade base? :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Very pleased with em... liquid drops around core area, so lots of capacity around core, yet finishes in center for easy mount and center suction... im no thermodynamics expert like soddemFX, but i think this should perform well.

The bottum part of evap(shown) will be .45", base is .2"...

regards

6. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

hey teyber, what sort of platic is that?? it looks like the stuff i use from industrial chopping boards!

7. Teyber

Teyber ******

haha i am contemplating using cutting boards... but cuttings boards are a little higher density then this.

the material is low density polyethylene, or LDPE. most of the cutting boards are HDPE, or high density polyethylene.

regards

8. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

thanks for the info! ill go tell my dad to ask for some. lol

9. Teyber

Teyber ******

yup!

finished the first evap of this small run!

first ill show my new rotary table... a 6" one with a 5" 3 jaw self centering chuck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    makes setting up SO much easier...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    theres the copper i ordered. 1.5" diameter, 24" long. keep in mind this is with 4" cut off of that bar... its huge!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    finished the top
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There ya go. need to make the backplate and tap the holes for the screws but overall im very pleased with how this came out.

regards

10. Teyber

Teyber ******

milled another evap tonight... pics up either tonight or 2maro

11. Teyber

Teyber ******

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There is what i made today. its TINY! its .35" base, and i think .125 tall or so. what makes the tops thicker then they really need to be is the lip for fitting on the evap for easier brazing, and the lip for the snapring. The design in this, think of a bunch of C's, but flips direction and gets smaller towards core...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry im in a rush.

regards

12. Teyber

Teyber ******

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :O

finish is 10x better in real life... so happy with it

13. Recoil

Recoil What's a Dremel?

This looks really cool and all, nice craftsmanship with milling the intricate parts, but I don't quite understand what you are using the evaporators for...I know what one is, but what function is it going to provide for your hardware?

14. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks!

the evaporators are the heads in a phase change system. they are the blocks that attach to the cpu, gpu, or whatever you are cooling. this is where the refrigerant turns from a liquid to a gas, which gets your hardware incredibly cold.

regards

15. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

looking great reed :thumb:

16. Recoil

Recoil What's a Dremel?

You are running refrigeration equipment in your PC? NICE!!!

I hate to pester with questions, but why would you need it so cold? This is the first I have really heard of a system being ran with this type of equipment, and would have personally never thought to do so. I am just now looking into doing a water cooling system cause I have always been terrified of water being in a PC if it were to leak...you will have a lot of condensation issues I think. Regardless, great work so far!

17. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks mate!

recoil- check my build thread. basically the colder it gets, the more efficient the switching is of the transistors... chips run safer at higher volts and obviously great temps. You condensation proof, on my mobo it goes- nail polish, dialectic grease, closed cell neoprene(several sheets) then some dialectic grease over joints.

and no question away. shoot me a PM if your interested. think of -40c load temps.... much colder idle :D

more pics of the 3 evaps i made today-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats how the sleeve goes on... hard to explain the mounting i have in mind but it should work perfectly for what im doing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you can see how smooth inbetween the steps are, you can see a perfect reflection. i bet sandblasting will really help :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SLI gpu evaps
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    all three from today...

I think next revision will have an extra step on the cpu evap.

Regards

18. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I agree. So when are you going to get one? =P

19. Teyber

Teyber ******

long time no update, sorry.

Stuey- not sure. when i CNC and have everything locked down and start selling a lot i will start blasting- unless i can find somebody to do it cheap (hmm... my dad is really good friends with a glass store owner... who i bought my air compressor from and offered to sell me his sandblasting equiptment)

i made a video but i ran out of battery mid-way through filming and can't find charger. sweet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The inner lip pushes down on a snapring on a evap. This is just a test, materials and thicknesses, et cetera will most likely be changed. (i.e- the top mount is not suitable for a mounting... i just had it around just had to bore a hole in it)

the first prototypes of these will bel made with UHMWPE (is that it? might have to many letters) for the round part and PVC for the hold down part. will problalby switch to 3/8" later but this should work fine.

regards

20. Teyber

Teyber ******

must add i did this really quick just to test the theory. DIdn't sand so lots of debree