1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning TV or monitor built into desk, mounted horizontal

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ridiculous, 29 Dec 2008.

1. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

So I had an idea yesterday to mount my tv or two monitors in a glass desk. The monitors would be under the glass so that I could still use it for a working surface but I could see through it to watch tv or use the computer.

Im wondering if anyone has done this as Im worried about a few things. Im fairly confident I could get it mounted securely and accurately with out issue. What I am worried about is the viewing angle and the brightness from the monitor/tv. With a small screen it probably wouldnt be to bad to see even at an angle. But the tv I would like to put under it is a 32 inch flat screen. I obviously dont want to go blind and I would still like to try it out mounted flat.

ANy advice tips, idea etc is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

2. UnFixed

UnFixed Unknown

Wouldn't mounting the screen under the desk make it a bit uncomfortable to use?
    I wouldn't fancy having to stare down at a monitor for hours on end, you wouldn't be able to lounge back against your chair back.
    I'm thinking serious back aches if your into gaming, especially for long periods.

An idea I always wanted to do was mount a monitor inside a wall, with the screen flush with the wall and at eye level. If you wanted to do this to save space, this might be a possible alternative.

A lot of places seem to be using monitors under counters(AAA comes to mind), but those aren't flush with the glass. rather they're under the desk and angled upwards.

One thing I'm curious about is: how wide is your glass desk exactly?
    Mounting an entire 32" tv flush seems a bit daunting if you gotta restructure the desk to fit the TV under it. (making sure bars arent in the way, etc)
    Got pictures of the desk?

3. ridiculous

Dont have a picture yet. The desk is 70" x33" and made from steel.

Yeah im thinking wall mount instead at this point. Thinking of possibly making the entire desk a light table now.

4. widmod

widmod Minimodder

that has been done before but with smaller flatscreen monitiors (and a computer next to it)
    i think it would work if you have nothing at the backside blocking the ventilation of the tv

5. ridiculous