1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Adding a reset switch

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kronos, 9 Feb 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Is it OK to add this type of switch as a reset button? Though I may well buy one with an LED to match the existing power switch on my Parvum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Did you buy that from me, Glenn? If so, it's fine as a reset button, albeit a tad large.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Possibly I did Dave. As for size but it would need to match the only other button on the case. I would prefer an LED version but I have no idea how I would wire it up given that I would have just two wires to use.

I may have a look around to see if anything else I could use takes my fancy.

4. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

If you want a LED version you just need to run an additional 12 or 5v (depending on the resistor used) line from the psu to power the led.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Could you either explain in more detail or is there a tutorial I could look at?

6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Using wires from a molex into the LED with a resistor soldered in-line would (I believe) work!

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sounds good but lacks detail for me being a newbie at this.

8. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Its simple really, if you get a switch with a build in led the switch will have 4 terminals.

Two of those are for the button itself, you connect that to the reset pins on your mobo.
    The other two terminals (usually labeled + and - ) are to power the led in the button. But since the lowest voltage a psu gives is 5v you need a resistor to lower the voltage otherwise you will fry the led.

To lower the voltage you need a resistor. Which one you exactly need depends on the color of led you will use (Different color leds use different voltages)

Some more info on leds; http://electronicsclub.info/leds.htm

Edit: just noticed you already have it sorted with Margo :)

Last edited: 17 Feb 2015