1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Sloder small wires to USB connection.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kronos, 1 Oct 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I really need advice on soldering very fine wires to very fine connections.

First of all holding the component parts in place so I have my hands free is the first issue. I do have one of these but am still finding it difficult to hold both the wire and connector in exactly the right position.

I am not sure if I have the right type of solder or even if there is a right type for my purpose.

Do I need a separate flux? If so what?

Anything you have that might help will be much appreciated.

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

For smaller items I always make sure I pre-tin the wire and the connector separately first, this then means you don't need to hold solder freeing up a hand. Athough my 'helping hand' is home made, I always put the connection on one side, the wire in another but slightly loose so I can solder with one hand and guide the wire into the correct place by moving the wire arm steadly till I hit the right spot. Should really be a simple case of touching the wire/connector to heat the solder you applies first, removing the heat and holding still for 2-3sec.

You shouldn't need a separate flux for wire to connection joins, I never need it so don't see there would be a need in your case. Any general purpose solder should be fine, I personally used lead solder as lead-free is a little harder to work with at times.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks Dave, very useful. I think I am going to need a bigger magnifying glass as my eyesight is pretty crap for close up work.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I don't really use a helping hand - I use tape sometimes to tape bits to circuit boards so I can line stuff up a little better.

I do what Dave does and just tin both sides - but normally, I just tack solder everything, then resolder to get a nice joint once everything is tacked and holding.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The tape idea looks good. The USB connector is an odd shaped item with slightly higher sides where the pins/grooves are for the wires so yes tape might work. Thanks mate..

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

These pictures show what I mean

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

In your case, the connections need to be flat against the board, instead of pointing upwards (thats how tracks get ripped off of boards). As said above, tin the wire and then cut it to length. Tin the solder pad too, but make sure your tip is clean (snigger) and not too hot, because you'll end up with dry joints.

8. RooiDuiwel

RooiDuiwel What's a Dremel?

won't it also help to use some thinner solder wire?

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

If using tape it's best to use masking tape as there's little chance of the glue on the tape transferring via the heat of the soldering iron and making a sticky mess.

That's what we were taught on my apprenticeship at British Aerospace anyways.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2014
  10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks all, going to have another go later todayusing your tips. Will post back on the result.