1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enough rad?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Rich111s, 17 Nov 2014.

1. Rich111s

Rich111s What's a Dremel?

Hi I have a overclocked 5930k i7 on asus x99 and two 780 ti's
    super clocked I'm water cooling all 3 of these, Ive fitted an xspc rx 480 rad in the top blowing exhaust fans, I also have fitted two reserviors in a single loop I haven't finished yet but was wondering if that's enough rad as I can't fit any more in my case??

2. Rich111s

5930k sorry

3. Akira749

Akira749 What's a Dremel?

Of course it would have been better with a bit more rads but you'll be okay :thumb:

4. Rich111s

Thanks I went for the thickest rad 60mm so fingers crossed! Cheers

5. Akira749

Akira749 What's a Dremel?

What's your case?

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

That rad will be enough, but is there any reason you have gone for 2 reservoirs. It serves no purpose other than for aesthetics.

7. jebk

jebk What's a Dremel?

60mm * 480 will be plenty, but might not get you a huge overclock, at least not if you care about noise levels. Why are you using two resevoirs? It shouldn't be a huge deal provided they're next to each other on the intake side of the pump.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I would have though two reservoirs would not be great for the pump.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Aye - i would suggest ditching a res and using only one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I run two gtx 670s and an intel i7 970 on my 480. Things are kept nice and cool with 4 fans on low rpm. I have overclocked the nuts off of the 970 and it still dealt with it fine.

On the two reservoirs, I believe that there is a mistaken belief out there that having a larger reservoir keeps the system cooler, than a smaller one. The reservoir acting as some sort of radiator in unto itself. The reality is however, that it just delays the time it takes for the water to reach a thermal equilibrium with the heat input of the components and the heat removal of the rad.

In other words the more reservoir there is the longer it takes for components to reach their max heat level for a fixed workload.

I don't see how it would effect the pump though. Ultimately its just a bit of gravity pulling two lumps of water into what I imagine is some sort of Y fitting before the pump. No better or worse than having a single tall reservoir. (the same applies for the return)

11. Rich111s

I'm using two 18w ddc pumps two ek 250 x3 reserviors mainly for aesthetics I'm happy with the way it look now an can't wait to test it all out (when I'm finished)!!

12. Rich111s

Are d5 pumps much quieter only the two ddc pumps I tested last night seem noisy!! An really wouldnt want to sit next to that for a long time, the pumps arnt bolted to anything an don't move or touch the case only flexi pipe an connections holding it in place??

13. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Yes D5s are much quieter, although remember that you can undervolt the DDCs to reduce their RPM and thus noise.