1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Raspberry Pi Camera Module now available

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 May 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Am I the only one thinking low cost homebrew GoPro?

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Attach camera to Pi, install OpenCV, add LED illuminator ring, raise massive middle-finger to Vicon.
    As soon as they get 720p60 and/or 640x480 120fps capture working, that is. 30fps is good for proof-of-concept, but that's going to give you a headache if you try and track at that rate. Hopefully the latency of capture is low enough for real-time work (though it doesn't look like you can feed raw unencoded sensor data via the video stream).

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I want to use one as an IP security camera. Just chug it in a tupperware box and use some bathroom sealant along the edges.

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

A GoPro is £200. By the time you've bought a PI, the camera, a battery,wifi adaptor and a charger you don't have really that much left to hand fabricate a waterproof housing with a mounting kit and accessible controls.

More flexible? Maybe.

Cheaper? Not by much.

That's why GoPro became THE standard for extreme cams. Because they are so cheap!

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Its a shame there is no Power over Ethernet version of the Pi.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

While it's not 'proper' negotiated 802.3af PoE, quite a few people have bodged power supplies onto the unused ethernet pairs to power their pi's, e.g..

8. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Well considering the Pi, Cam, Battery+Charger / Power & Wifi can all be picked up for around £100 so plenty left for a small custom housing.

So, more flexible? Definitely.

Cheaper? Clearly by a large margin at almost half the price.

9. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

As cool as it sounds, I don't think there'd be much of a comparison. The GoPro would be a hell of a lot lighter, smaller, resilient and I bet the image quality would be better.

Plus a second hand hero 2 is about £150.

10. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Those PoE splitters are really good, I use one for powering and connecting my Draytek 120 to my Netgear UTM10. Saves me so much hassle what with the phone socket being in a stupid place.

Why bother when you can get a Horyzon HD? I intend to use one when I eventually get the funds together for a tricopter build.

11. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

And here I was thinking I'd come up with something worthwhile! eh!