1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Grand Theft Auto IV PC patch detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Sweep sweep.

3. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

The performance is awful on my system. It is the first game since buying my 8800 GTX that I have struggled with (without going below High/Medium settings), and I'm sure this is down to yet another crap port to PC users.

Shame on you Rockstar!

4. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Lol, this doesn't fix anything at all. I mean "Fix for ATI 1900 shadows"? I don't believe anyone still uses 1900 series (as it was such an incredibly crappy series, and anyway, this game runs slow on a GTX 280, so on 1900 this is a very, very slow slideshow)

5. quack

quack Minimodder

I still haven't bought GTA4, and really not sure I want to - even though I had been incredibly excited about its release - all because of the Social Club and Windows Live crap. :|

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm still going to defend it and say that I bet if you ran it at the same level of detail as the XBox 360, it'd run find on most systems.

People are only freaking out because this is labelled as "low detail" and they can't handle the fact that this is the level their uber-rig runs it on. If Rockstar renamed them "High", "Ultra High" and "Proof of Concept High", no-one would mind.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I disagree. Judging by the pictures all over the tubes there isn't enough of a difference between the console version and the PC version. So low on PC is slightly better than console? Why does it still look like 2006 then? Get some decent textures in there and the world will be a better place... or maybe not but at least the game will look better.

So I think what people really are complaining about is the fact that an average looking game doesn't run with acceptable frame rates on their PCs. And I seriously can't see any reason why this game shouldn't run fine at high on a 8800GTX, let alone a 280...

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Thing is you can run it at any detail you want with afew command line changes, fps is determined by number of CPU cores and clock speed, not your gfx card power plus no AA, crashes, slowdowns, crap camera, DOS box running all the time o_O

It's just a shoddy port :p

9. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Entirely agree.

10. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

forget about the windows live and social club probs, what will really sadden you is the poor performance on current generation hardware :)

11. Matkubicki

Matkubicki What's a Dremel?

Very happy GTA IV user here :clap:

Installed it last night in under an hour including Live and Social Club sign ups, no problems except me putting caps lock when doing social club password :)wallbash:)

Benchmarked on 1680x1050 Render Quality:High, Textures:Highest, about 50 for distance and 60 for detail distance, middle-ish for shadows, came out as around 25fps.

In game a little less than that, mainly the odd slow down as you say turn a corner into a new street, nothing major, looks smooth otherwise.

All this on a:
    E6600 @ 3.24Ghz
    Ati 4870 1GB
    4GB RAM
    Vista x64

One very pleased customer.

Only annoyances are:
    -no multiple key bindings for controls, pain
    -all the cars so far drive like buses (its not me honest!)
    -don't like HAVING to sign up to things, always managed to avoid this before now

12. shadowsoal

shadowsoal What's a Dremel?

It runs so-so on my system

2 Gig of 800mhz ram
    2.6 Dual core AMD
    Gefore 9400 GT
    XP

Definately playable though, so thats a result.

Will say, mind you, this patch does seem a little bit like Rockstar are just spitting out a couple of minor things just to tick a box and mildly mock everyone.
    Considering the attitudes of the characters in the GTA series, I can totally imagine the Rockstar Crew having a good laugh at everyone for winging "like girls" about this not working.
    I meen!! .. A fix for shadows (not even a full fix or anything) for the ATI 1900! I don't ven believe that, A) it works with this game or B) Anybody that has a system that could even hope to run this even has that card on thier machine! lol

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Smooth? 25 FPS? Interesting that. :p
    No, seriously, I just don't get it why that game runs that slow. I mean with Crysis you see what is using all those horse powers of your PC but unless they use an insane number of polygons for the houses or render the inside of every house including a simulation of the people living in there (probably coming next: GTA:The Sims 2 Edition :eyebrow: )...

Anyways, I won't buy it for PC. 360? Maybe. There are more important games for both platforms for me.

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

anybody taking bets on whether it breaks the crack that came out sunday?

@bauul - the computer in my sig does never more than 20fps on low-medium and 1280x768. not even close to what my ps3 version looks like.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2008
  15. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

"High Setting" renders practically the entire city on the fly. So the answer to your above questions is "yes".

16. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

I can play Team Fortress 2, all Half-Life engine games, on medium to high settings, but GTA IV wont even load textures if they are not a few milimeters in front of me. Don't buy it.

17. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

Sounds like a very important patch to me if .... "Overall savings to memory" means that it doesn't now use almost 2GB of memory from the off and then continue to slow down as it eats more and more as you play!

It runs very slowly on my system no matter what settings I use and I believe it's all down to only having 2GB of memory. Vista64 already using a significant amount means that GTA4 pushes usage up to +90% at all times.

No matter what the patch does I'm still looking at going to 4GB anyway.

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Ofcourse it will! And the whole scene will most probably already be preparing to counter. Anyway, if this is the whole patch, i'm not even gunna. None of these issues are relevant for me.

19. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

after reading some stuff on the web, this game is definitely CPU limited.

Think about it though, despite the Xbox only having that ATI chip in it (~ same as 1900XTX) and the PS3 having a similar chip from Nvidia (~ 7900GTX IIRC) but BOTH are massively powerful when it comes to CPU.

Xbox has triple core IBM PowerPC chip, and the Cell in the PS3 has like 8 cores or something???

This may explain why a GTX280 with an Athlon X2 @ 3.2Ghz gets 15 FPS, and a Phenom X4 @ 2.6Ghz gets over 30 FPS.

This game NEEDS quad core. First one ever to be branded as such.

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags