1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Would this work?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bakes, 27 Dec 2010.

1. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Planning on watercooling in the next few days as a birthday present to myself. Have done my research, but still need a few tips.

This is what I am intending on buying:

[​IMG]

Can someone confirm that this setup will a) work and b) be alright until I can pick up some PT Nuke/Silver Kill Coils from SpecialTech when they reopen on the 4th?

If you are familiar with TJ07s, would I be able to fit the dual radiator in the roof without making modifications?

I appreciate that Ultra Pure Bi-Distilled water is totally unnecessary, I just won't have any access to normal distilled water for when I want to use this.

2. bagman

bagman Minimodder

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

If I remember rightly the modifications you need to make to the tj07 is that you need to re-bend the mesh bits that hold the fans depending on rad size. But you will need to redrill the holes so the spacing is correct.

As for the coolant I used deionised from Tesco with a silver kill coil to stop fungal growth, no fluid is going to be really non conductive, so you might as well save a few pennies. I think I saw that they even do really big 2lt+ bottles now.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

That 240 rad won't fit in the roof of the case. You can get a Black Ice Stealth 240 in though but as mentioned above you need to trim the grill to fit it. I used copper wire to hold it in place rather than drill through the case. A Quad rad should be enough for a 580 and i7.

I would save money and just use deionised water with anti-algae or a silver kill coil. You can get deionised from Wilkinsons (avoid Halfords, they take the p*** with pricing).

That hose cutter is rubbish for thick tubing. A stanley knife does it better than one of those.

Have you thought about a windowed side panel for the case?

EDIT: If that res leaks whatever you do don't tighten it, instead contact EK support and get a few free proper o rings to fit it instead.

5. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Thats feser bi-distilled water, not collant.

Anyway deionized water would pick up ions pretty quickly buy touching copper blocks, so it is kinda pointless. Might as well just use regular distilled water from the grocery store.

I don't think you need a plastic tube cutter. I just use snips to do the job.

Also unless your motherboard has 6 extra 3 pin fans connectors, you should get a fan controller.

You also don't need biocide as long you don't rinse your stuff with tap water; Algae isn't some airborn.
    Biocide leaves residue when dried, also makes liquids dry a slower. So if you have spills that gets into your motherboard or graphics card, you need to clean it. A Killcoil is alright but once again unnecesary.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Rofl_Waffle - Whereabouts do you get distilled from. I haven't been able to find any at less than about £5 per litre?

Distilled also picks up ions in the same way, so does the 'special' non-conductive fluids.

Edit: I don't know what anti-algae you've used (or the quantities) but the 1 drop per liter I've used hasn't left any residues, but the plasticizer from some tubing has. It's easier to prevent algae than it is to clean it out.

Last edited: 27 Dec 2010