1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Watercooling and wattage?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atc95, 20 Jan 2013.

1. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I am thinking of modding my case (see sig) to allow me to watercool using a 180mm radiator with one fan (probably the stock silverstone air penatrator) and another 120 or 140 radiator.

First of all I have a few questions.

1. Can you mount the reservoir on the bottom of your case?

2. Will the pump inside an apogee drive II be powerful enough for a cpu gpu loop? (I think it is a swiftech mcp35x or something like that)

3. If I switch my signature to a 3570k and overclock it while keeping everything else the same, how much power do I need for it? I would be able to fit the 140 radiator if I have a sff power supply like the 450w silverstone one?

I have used the thermaltake outrevision power calculator and with a 7950 and oc'd 3570k plus the fans and pump I will use it gives 478w at full load, is this exaggerating or actually what I will need?

Last edited: 20 Jan 2013
  2. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD What's a Dremel?

Sounds about right to me.
    The rig in my sig draws a tad over 1150w and the GPU's seem to take up about 300w each of it.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

You should always try and have the reservoir before the pump, and ideally above it... not just because it makes filling and bleeding the system a damn site easier.. You can get away with a small T-line if needs be, but it'll take longer to bleed than a decent reservoir.

The pump should be fine, yeus.

As for the PSU, I'm not sure... you should be able to get away with it, but I'd be inclined to use something with a bit more headroom.

4. atc95

Ok It was either a bottom mounted reservoir or use up one of my 5.25" bays but that would obstruct airflow on that radiator.

Are there any atx psus that are small then the one I have is 150mm long and I need one a bit slimmer otherwise cable management will be near impossible.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Is this in your current TJ-08 case?

Could you do a quick paint drawing showing where your rad/pump placement would be to give a better idea to us?

6. atc95

This is a rough idea of the two options:

[​IMG]

and the 7950 will be watercooled and the drive cage will be removed. I can mount 2x2.5" drives without drive cage so I can do without it for now.

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ok, gotcha...

Looking at it, I'd be inclined to mound a small res off the fan/180mm radiator, then go from there into the CPU.. It wouldn't take much room to stuff in.

Why not mount a 120mm radiator on the rear fan? That would then give you lots more room to work with on the PSU/cable front.

8. atc95

I was considering using the 120mm mount but then I would have far less airflow for the motherboard and ram, is that a problem or do they not get hot enough anyway?

Any suggestions on reservoir?

9. atc95

After a bit of thought I could use either of these without too much modding.

1. this radiator w/ built in res, plus another 180mm rad and 120mm rad in the current fan slots.

2. A 120mm radiator with dimensions under 160x146 and this reservoir.

3. Is there a 140mm radiator with 120mm fan screws to allow push pull with a 140mm and 120mm fan to allow a bit more cooling using option 2.?