1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows How to convert SSD from MBR to GPT

Discussion in 'Software' started by thetrashcanman, 8 Aug 2016.

1. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Hi all I am having trouble doing this as every route seems to be a dead end, have tried doing this via disk management in windows and via command prompt but too no avail.

and when i try and format the drive via my computer all i have is windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs you are using.

thank you for any help in advanced

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

My question would be why? Unless you're wanting to boot from it in 'UEFI mode' instead of legacy BIOS mode.

However, all you should need to do (assuming it won't be a boot drive as the Windows install process will do this automatically depending on boot type) is open up an admin command prompt and type
    Code:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x
    clean
    convert gpt
    cre par pri
    format quick fs=ntfs
    assign
    Press enter after each line, and x = number of disk as seen in the list disk command.

Edit: If it needs to be a boot drive I can give you the commands for that too but as stated, the install process should do this for you assuming you choose the correct boot mode for the install media.

3. thetrashcanman

Thanks Noiz, when I have tried to load Windows 7 onto the SSD it has asked me to do this. I shall try your command prompt. Thank you

Edit: could this all be caused because I haven't put it into UEFI?

4. Deders

Deders Modder

I think it's because it is UFI mode that it expects the GPT partition.

I had to do this myself recently. You can do it from outside of windows by getting the command prompt up when you boot from the win7 install media, before you click the button to start the actual setup.

5. thetrashcanman

Thanks mate I shall try that

6. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Just replied to your PM pretty much along the lines of the advice already given Will.
    Let me know if you have any major issues, always happy to accept a return if you not entirely happy with the drive.

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Ahh ok, Windows 7 whilst does support UEFI/GPT boot, it doesn't support Secure Boot and booting from a Windows 7 GPT partition can be a pit patchy so I would recommend booting from your Windows 7 install media in Legacy/BIOS mode rather than UEFI mode. However, given it seems to boot fine from the install media you should only really need to follow my diskpart commands upto and including 'clean', the setup process should do the rest.

8. thetrashcanman

managed to sort this when loading a fresh copy of windows 7 somehow, thanks for your help guys :thumb:

9. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Glad you got it sorted Will