1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Critical Hit: Nintendo's Novelty Act

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. PyrO_PrOfessOr

PyrO_PrOfessOr What's a Dremel?

I managed to get a play with one of the augmented reality games when I was in Game earlier this week - their demo model had just arrived into the shop and it was quite quiet. I had been incredibly skeptical about the 3D screen having worked with many 3D systems in the past through University and work but I couldn't believe how good the 3D was. The AR game involved setting a card on the desktop, allowing the 3DS to get a lock and then watching as things spawned all over the desktop. Te ability to move around everything was very impressive and the depth of the display made it feel like you were just looking through a piece of glass with a heads up display.

I'll definitely be picking up one of these, although possibly not to the summer until my Masters is out of the way...

3. shaunboy

shaunboy Phenom II's are cool guys

My orginal DS Phat is looking quite outdated at 6 years old in October which is really the only reason I've got a pre-order on the 3DS, with a copy of Rayman 3D of course.

In terms of Sony's new console, I'll have to wait and see. Not sure about the decision to have the PSPhone and a totally new console is a good thing though.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2011
  4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I'd like to see one in action tbh.

5. weeman1985

weeman1985 What's a Dremel?

Being in Japan I was lucky enough to get to play with one just after new year and it almost made me regret getting my XL 2 months before. Not quite though. It is awesome, but I'm now in love with the size of the screens on the XL (having upgraded from the Lite). Will definitely get one when they come out with an extra large version though.

6. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

haha me too, they look like a space invader or somthing straight out the 60`s and made of bakelite.

was just thinking if this 3d holds upto it it might be time to upgrade. I think i will have to wait to see it to believe it before i buy.

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

augmented reality will be the killer app!

8. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Not impressed TBH. Will not be giving up my DSlite for it. The tech behind it has been around for some time, and the 3D only works within very small angles, which I can see leading to holding or sitting uncomfortably to play it well.

As for the AR, play Invizimals on the PSP. Fantastic little game, also has Brian Blessed.

The 3DS is too expensive, too gimmicy. The day the pokemon series of games jumps over to it, is the day I stop buying pokemon games, so black and white are the last ones I'll own.

9. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I got to try a 3DS the other day at MGM (playing Resident Evil and OoT), and was really impressed, the 3d is really impressive, it does look like you're looking into a box. Viewing angle is really narrow though, you can't move your head around much, which was fine in the little booths, but may be a problem if you try to play them outside/on the bus with bright sunlight.

10. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Jon, why the change of heart? What have you seen or heard that has convinced you to pick one up?

Mine is pre-ordered, mainly due to previous reports and a thirst for touching shiny new things ...

Regard PSP, I regretted ever buying one, hardly ever used. The DS is much more fun for long trips. And now iPhone and iPad of course.

Have you used one?

11. Omnituens

Yes I have.

12. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

You know... I know you havent used one of them, how do I know you may ask, well lets take a look at your original post

If you used one then you wouldnt "see leading to holding or sitting uncomfortably"; you would know you have to sit uncomfortably!!! :p

As for me I do want to try this piece of hardware... looks like I could enjoy it!!

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I'd rather go for Sony's offering because it will be hacked and then I'll get to toss a bunch of emulators on it, and whatever homebrew is good at the time.

14. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Dunno if he's only used one briefly then his comment still makes sense.

Anyway, don't care about this at all, I'm just geeked out they are bothering to make a PSP2 :) I know I'm almost alone around here but I think the specs and setup of it sound fantastic and I'll be enjoying Unchartered on the go.

15. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Maybe, but Sony are getting better all the time at preventing it, took the PS3 the best part of 4 years to get opened up.

16. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

It was the removal of linux from the PS3 that sparked the breaking/homebrew scene on the PS3. So I guess they didn't have much incentive to break it.

The PSP was hacked very quickly IIRC.

17. Omnituens

After some time it might be uncomfortable, smart arse. DS I can change position to avoid sun on my screen, lie down etc. not an option.

just because I'm not blown over by the device don't mean I havent used one. It's not the Ark of the bloody Covenant.

18. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

I hate to say it, but after owning both a PSP (bought it cheap used) and a NDS Lite (got it as a gift), my go to portable gaming device has been... my phone. Yup, whether its an iDevice or an Android, the phones are now even more powerful than the dedicated portables, and that just means better games for on the go gaming. It also more importantly means I carry less stuff, though I guess I'm still antiquated enough to have a dedicated MP3 player along side my phone (iPod Classic Cheesecake!)

19. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

LOL, fair enough. Honestly I have never owned a portable device, and what you say about the angle makes sense.

the only "on the go" gaming I have its on my iPod touch and I dont think that's about to change.

20. Omnituens

If I didn't already own a DS and a PSP, I'd get one when games I wanted for it came out; Professor Layton vs Pheonix Wright and the next gen pokemon games after black and white.

Or if both those devices exploded or something.

Tags: Add Tags