1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling What Thermal Paste?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GTIgeneral, 2 Jun 2015.

1. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

Whats the best thermal paste to use these days?

Ive just got the last out of my no-brand tube of paste so want to order some more today. Also is TIM cleaner really worth it? I've always used a bit of rubbing alcohol or aftershave :D

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

The ArtiClean thermal paste remover smells really nicely of oranges, so there's that to recommend it ;)
    As for TIM, lots of people recommend MX-2.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I go for mx4, a lot of people go for artic silver 5, they're all pretty much the same. Tim cleaner is good and it has plenty of other uses too. It's great for getting rid of the sticky residue you get from labels.

4. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

More important than having the best TIM is just using a good TIM and applying it properly. If you really "need" the extra couple degrees the best TIM provides over the other popular TIMs, then you really need to look at your case cooling because your case is not doing its job.

TIM cleaner is nice and it works fine. But so does 91 - 93% Isopropyl alcohol and it is much much cheaper.

I do recommend the higher concentrate Isopropyl alcohol over regular rubbing (~75%) alcohol because the weaker solution can leave a residue, a film over the mating surfaces.

Don't use aftershave!!! They contain soothing oils and moisturizers that will certainly leave a residue on the mating surfaces.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I always use IC Diamond paste, have done for years

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

This.

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I use whatever's at hand, last time I think it was some AS5 that had been lying around for a while, applied with the plastic-bag-stretched-over-finger-method(tm).

I've never used TIM remover, I just thoroughly clean the area with the kitchen-roll-stretched-over-the-finger-method(tm).

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

9. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Arctic Silver 5 is very good. For every day stuff like replacing the TIM in laptops I use MX-2 as its ceramic based so if a little goes astray you dont have to run the risk of shorting something out.

10. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

Ending up ordering some Arctic Cooling MX-4 for a few pennies under £4, seemed the best for the price.

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

No. As others have said, use isopropyl alcohol - it's cheaper and just as effective. Personally, I use a dry cotton swab or the corner of a folded paper towel to remove as much thermal material as possible. Then I dip a cotton swab in the bottle of alcohol and carefully remove any remaining residue. Any alcohol left over evaporates quickly, leaving a nice clean surface.

GTIgeneral likes this.
  12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Isopropanol for cleaning, Arctic Silver for the thermal gunk, mainly as I still have loads of the stuff.

13. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

14. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Would be fine, but it is cheaper elsewhere. Try eBay for example.

I use MX-4, main as I have plenty of it and near pure Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning. Never got on with IC Diamond, always took the IHS text off and the temps were not that much better than MX-4.

15. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

i use the acrticlean stuff and mx-4.

It may only be my experience, but when cleaning the contact plate on my aio coolers, i initially used isopropylol and it reached the point where my coffee filter was coming back clean, but when i found the acrticlean and applied it before reinstalling my coffee filter picked up a load more dark grey/black residue. no idea how much difference it would make, but now i stick with the arcticlean stuff because i feel like it's working better even if the benefit is minimal.

the mx-4 seemed to hold up in various reviews and i got a largish tube of it from amazon for not much cash which is still going strong after many uses.

16. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

I too use a cotton swab. Then a final blast of compressed dusting gas just before applying the new TIM so ensure no dust of cotton fibers are left behind.

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

On chips????

[​IMG]

19. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

20. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

That looks like an aerosol can - that is, the contents are under pressure and spray out. I would not use or recommend that. Just visit your local pharmacy or pharmacy section of your local Wal-mart or grocery store. They should have isopropyl alcohol and hopefully the 91 - 93% stuff.